"Everglades National Park by Kimberlyann" Top 5 Page for this destination Everglades National Park by KimberlyAnn
Everglades National Park Travel Guide: 370 reviews and 913 photos
Everglades National Park, although a large park of 1,506,539 acres, only encompasses one-fifth of the Florida Everglades. This national park is the most famous wetland preserve in the United States, being the only subtropical preserve in North America, a flooded grassland that is home to many tropical and subtropical trees and plants, more than 300 bird species, 150 fish species, and 60 federally listed threatened or endangered species including the Florida panther and the American crocodile. Much of the park is a region of mangrove waterways and sawgrass marsh dotted with hammocks and salt prairies. The Everglades has three international designations: International Biosphere Reserve, World Heritage Site, and Wetland of International Significance. But this park is in trouble. The numbers of wading birds nesting in colonies have declined 93% since the 1930s. The rains still fall in south Florida today, but the extensive canal and levee systems have shut off the life-giving rainwater before it can reach the national park and the remainder of the Everglades “River of Grass.” Sometimes the water control structures are shut preventing the much-needed water from reaching the park, and at other times they are opened and floodwaters enter the Everglades damaging nests and/or eggs of birds. Along with this pollutants from agriculture and other human activities are damaging the ecosystem. The Everglades Coalition, an alliance of more that 42 local, state, and national organizations such as World Wildlife Fund, is working on solutions for the problem. The National Park Service and the State of Florida have agreed to be partners in enforcing existing water quality regulations and will continue to address water quality problems. The park service is working with the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers and other water management jurisdictions to help save the Everglades. Hopefully with the hard work of many interested organizations and individuals a solution can be found to save this wonderful land for future generations.
- Pros:This is a wonderful area for bird watching, observing alligators, fishing, hiking, biking, or boating.
- Cons:The Park is very hot in the summers, and at times mosquitoes and other insects can be bothersome.
- In a nutshell:Although the ecology of this park is threatened by human development, and the numbers of wildlife have declined, there are still plenty of wildlife to enjoy, and trails to explore.
Your visit to the Everglades will be one based on outdoor activities. If you enjoy biking you will find the best biking... more travel advice
The Everglades area Chamber of Commerce is located in Everglades City. You may request information from the chamber by... more travel advice
- A Great Place for Fresh Produce or a...
- How to Stay Comfortable
- Airboat rides
- Watch out for these!
KimberlyAnn's Related Pages
Everglades National Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Basaic Everglades National Park Page"
- "Okefenokee's River of Grass"
- "Among the lushest national parks in the system"
- "everglades national park"
- "Everglades National Park by Kimberlyann"
- "The Everglades "River of Grass""
- "Everglades National Park"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Everglades National Park
- Hotels in Everglades National Park
- Transportation in Everglades National Park
- Nightlife in Everglades National Park
- Restaurants in Everglades National Park
- Shopping in Everglades National Park
- Warnings and Dangers in Everglades National Park
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Everglades National Park
- 27 Reviews
- 25 Photos
- 10 Forum posts
- 23 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (39)
Have you been to Everglades National Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Everglades National Park
- Posted in Travel Springdale Forum "Re: Zion trip in Winter"
- Uploaded a Photo to "A Great Place for Fresh Produce or a Special Treat"
- Commented on one of roamer61's Everglades National Park travel pages
- updated a Everglades National Park Travel Page "Everglades National Park by Kimberlyann"
- Wrote a Review Activities to Do In the Park in Everglades National Park Favorites
Photos in Everglades National ParkSee All Photos (25)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yellowstone National Park Intro, 87 reviews, 210 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cody Intro, 65 reviews, 207 photos, 6 travelogues
- Grand Teton National Park Intro, 57 reviews, 142 photos
- Florida Intro, 50 reviews, 92 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Houghton Intro, 42 reviews, 98 photos, 2 travelogues
- Copper Harbor Intro, 36 reviews, 90 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marquette Intro, 31 reviews, 76 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Theodore Roosevelt National Memorial Park Intro, 28 reviews, 60 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Big Bend National Park Intro, 37 reviews, 46 photos
- Death Valley National Park Intro, 26 reviews, 52 photos, 1 travelogue