"Pismo State Beach, A Place To Have Fun" Pismo State Beach by KimberlyAnn
Pismo State Beach Travel Guide: 11 reviews and 17 photos
About halfway between San Francisco and Los Angeles, you will find Pismo State Beach, stretching along Highway 1 from Oceano to Pismo Beach, California. The park has low coastal sand dunes, a broad sandy beach, and two campgrounds. You may enjoy swimming, hiking, bird and butterfly watching, walks and drives on the beach, as well as a number of other beach type activities. If you enjoy fishing, many people enjoy fishing in the surf along the beach, while others like to fish from the pier in the town of Pismo Beach. If you do decide to fish, you must have a California fishing license, unless you are fishing from the public pier. The weather in Pismo is known to be mild, therefore drawing visitors year round to the area. The name Pismo comes from a Chumash Indian word pizmu, meaning tar. Off shore there are under water areas with natural oil seepage. These occasionally wash up on the beach. Shorebirds, such as the endangered snowy plover, flock to the Pismo Beach area to feed and nest. During the time that the plovers are present, park personnel will erect fencing and signs, causing partial closures in this area to protect this endangered bird.
Some areas of dunes have low growing ground covers, others are covered with taller plants, bushes, and even some trees. These bush and tree lined dunes are a great place for bird watchers to explore.
For Information on nearby restaurants, off the beaten path ideas, shopping, and golf, visit my Pismo Beach, CA, An Enjoyable Place To Be pages.
- Pros:With six miles of sandy beach, you will find a wide variety of activities.
- Cons:It can be very foggy, as well as crowded in the summer.
There are no lifeguards on the beach, so be careful when swimming or wading, as water conditions can be dangerous due to... more travel advice
Pismo State Beach is an area of one of the largest areas for wintering Monarch Butterflies in the United states, varying... more travel advice
KimberlyAnn's Related Pages
Pismo State Beach Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Pismo State Beach
- Hotels in Pismo State Beach
- Warnings and Dangers in Pismo State Beach
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Pismo State Beach
- 11 Reviews
- 17 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (39)
Have you been to Pismo State Beach?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Pismo State Beach
Photos in Pismo State BeachSee All Photos (17)
Videos in Pismo State BeachSee All Videos (2)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yellowstone National Park Intro, 87 reviews, 212 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cody Intro, 67 reviews, 218 photos, 6 travelogues
- Grand Teton National Park Intro, 57 reviews, 142 photos
- Florida Intro, 50 reviews, 92 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Houghton Intro, 42 reviews, 98 photos, 2 travelogues
- Copper Harbor Intro, 36 reviews, 90 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marquette Intro, 31 reviews, 76 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Theodore Roosevelt National Memorial Park Intro, 28 reviews, 60 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Big Bend National Park Intro, 37 reviews, 46 photos
- Death Valley National Park Intro, 26 reviews, 52 photos, 1 travelogue