"Monterey and Its Beautiful Big Sur Country" Top 5 Page for this destination Monterey by KimberlyAnn
Monterey Travel Guide: 923 reviews and 2,760 photos
Monterey lies on a peninsula and ranges in altitude from sea level to 360 feet This town is rich in history and natural beauty, and has a wide range of activities, shops, and restaurants which keeps its visitors busy. We arrived in Monterey by driving the coastal highway 1 along the wonderful Big Sur coastline. Wow! The Big Sur coast is by far the most spectacular scenery I have EVER seen! We fell completely in love with it. Green forests, including the large redwoods, and grasses cover almost everything. We were awed by the hills and mountains, and especially the cliffs that plunge steeply to the ocean below the highway, where rocks jutting up from the ocean's surface catch the waves as they splash against them, causing water to be thrown skyward. We were completely captivated with this coastline and have visited it twice.
We drove over this bridge each time we traveled the 27 miles from our campground to Monterey. I never became tired of the view along hwy 1, that is when there is a view. Unfortunately sometimes the view is hidden in the fog.
- Pros:Awe inspiring beauty, great places to explore.
- Cons:Warm months can bring daily fog.
Trader Joe's began in 1958 as a chain of convenience stores in the Los Angeles area. With their nautical décor, they... more travel advice
We had such an outstanding trip with the Monterey Bay Whale Watch! Our trip lasted for 3 hours and the boat ride alone... more travel advice
KimberlyAnn's Related Pages
Monterey Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Watching the Sunset in Monterey..."
- "City by the Sea"
- "Monterey - Beginning of the U.S. tour"
- "Monterey and Its Beautiful Big Sur Country"
- "Life's a Kelp Forest..."
- "First Capitol of California"
- "Monterey Magic!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Monterey
- Hotels in Monterey
- Transportation in Monterey
- Nightlife in Monterey
- Restaurants in Monterey
- Shopping in Monterey
- Warnings and Dangers in Monterey
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Monterey
- 21 Reviews
- 30 Photos
- 5 Forum posts
- 14 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (45)
Have you been to Monterey?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Monterey
- Posted in Travel Yellowstone National Park Forum "Re: What to see at Yellowstone..."
- Uploaded a Photo to "Exotic to Basic Foods"
- Commented on one of atufft's Monterey travel pages
- Wrote a Review Exotic to Basic Foods in Monterey Shopping
- updated a Monterey Travel Page "Monterey and Its Beautiful Big Sur Country"
Photos in MontereySee All Photos (30)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yellowstone National Park Intro, 87 reviews, 212 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cody Intro, 67 reviews, 218 photos, 6 travelogues
- Grand Teton National Park Intro, 57 reviews, 142 photos
- Florida Intro, 50 reviews, 92 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Houghton Intro, 42 reviews, 98 photos, 2 travelogues
- Copper Harbor Intro, 36 reviews, 90 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marquette Intro, 31 reviews, 76 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Theodore Roosevelt National Memorial Park Intro, 28 reviews, 60 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Big Bend National Park Intro, 37 reviews, 46 photos
- Death Valley National Park Intro, 26 reviews, 52 photos, 1 travelogue