"Monterey and Its Beautiful Big Sur Country" Top 5 Page for this destination Monterey by KimberlyAnn

Monterey Travel Guide: 922 reviews and 2,753 photos

Monterey lies on a peninsula and ranges in altitude from sea level to 360 feet This town is rich in history and natural beauty, and has a wide range of activities, shops, and restaurants which keeps its visitors busy. We arrived in Monterey by driving the coastal highway 1 along the wonderful Big Sur coastline. Wow! The Big Sur coast is by far the most spectacular scenery I have EVER seen! We fell completely in love with it. Green forests, including the large redwoods, and grasses cover almost everything. We were awed by the hills and mountains, and especially the cliffs that plunge steeply to the ocean below the highway, where rocks jutting up from the ocean's surface catch the waves as they splash against them, causing water to be thrown skyward. We were completely captivated with this coastline and have visited it twice.

We drove over this bridge each time we traveled the 27 miles from our campground to Monterey. I never became tired of the view along hwy 1, that is when there is a view. Unfortunately sometimes the view is hidden in the fog.

• Pros:Awe inspiring beauty, great places to explore.
  • Cons:Warm months can bring daily fog.
  • Last visit to Monterey: Mar 2005
  • Intro Updated May 20, 2005

• hindu1936's Profile Photo
    May 4, 2009 at 6:30 AM

Great photos. My wife would love to get ahold of the octopus. Dried, roasted, and munched on

• jumpingnorman's Profile Photo
    Jan 25, 2009 at 9:29 AM

Monterey is great, isn't it? Well, we'll try the whale adventure one of these days, sounds like fun! Thanks, Norman :)

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Aug 27, 2008 at 1:53 PM

Simply beautiful. Your photos are so powerful. Love Ansel Adams. Good job with coverage of the campground. Whale watch....super.

• Staceybug's Profile Photo
    Dec 30, 2007 at 10:52 AM

Do you know if this Farmers Market is year round?

• SLLiew's Profile Photo
    Jun 28, 2007 at 6:38 PM

Nice page of Monterrey. Bring back memories of 17 miles drive and Pebbles Beach :)

• angiebabe's Profile Photo
    Feb 27, 2007 at 6:43 AM

Great page!inspiring and beautiful photos!

• madamx's Profile Photo
    Nov 23, 2006 at 8:21 PM

Fabulous photos! Every one of them is a winner. Looking forward to the seafood especially ~ Helen

• roamer61's Profile Photo
    Feb 27, 2006 at 4:36 AM

Been more than 20 years since I have been out that aways. Would not mind returning. Great pictures.

• kyoub's Profile Photo
    Dec 17, 2005 at 8:22 AM

Outstanding photos and excellent discriptions. This page makes me want to go there. I love photography by Ansel Adams. Nice to see a picture of you, Ann

• kymbanm's Profile Photo
    Sep 11, 2005 at 12:31 PM

The MBA is one of my favorites ..... from anywhere :) Wonderful pages, thanks for sharing your journey ...

KimberlyAnn

“Respect all living things, accept man's differences.”

Badges & Stats in Monterey

Have you been to Monterey?