"Leo Carrillo State Beach, One of My Favorites" Leo Carrillo State Beach by KimberlyAnn
Leo Carrillo State Beach Travel Guide: 27 reviews and 71 photos
Leo Carrillo State Beach is located between Oxnard and Malibu, 28 miles northwest of Santa Monica on the Pacific Coast Highway (Highway 1.) Of all the State Beaches I have visited along the southern and south central California coast, Leo Carrillo is my favorite. The main reason this is my favorite, is because it is so varied. There are one and a half miles of beach, which includes, a large open stretch of beach, private coves, tide pools, and coastal caves and rock formations. Off shore there are reefs for divers to explore. If you aren’t looking for a beach, the park also encompasses canyons and mountains offering you lots of backcountry hiking. You can come here and be an adventurer, enjoy such activities as swimming, surfing, windsurfing, surf fishing, flying kites, or just layback with a book and enjoy the beauty of the ocean. Because the park begins at sea level, and continues up into the mountains, there is a wide variety of plant and animal life, so the park offers a variety of environments and activities for people who enjoy the outdoors.
Along some areas of the beach you will find rocks projecting out of the water, which will dress up your view, in other areas you have an open stretch of water that welcomes many summer people who enjoy swimming, and other beach activities.
If you enjoy wildlife, look for sea birds such as cormorants, sea gulls, and pelicans. During whale migrations, look out across the ocean and you may spot the spouts of whales as they work their way along the coast. You may also see dolphins, harbor seals, or sea lions. As you explore further into the park you may spot such animals as rabbits, squirrels, scrub jays, acorn woodpeckers, red tailed hawks, deer, foxes, snakes, or raccoons. Bobcats also live in the area, but are rarely seen. Whether you come to the park for exploring the great outdoors, or simply to relax, you will enjoy Leo Carrillo.
- Pros:This is a 2,000 acre park, with mountain hiking, and the Pacific Ocean for enjoying coastline activities.
- Cons:Watch for poison oak, rattle snakes, and ticks when in the backcountry.
- In a nutshell:More than a beach.
To visit the beaches, the bluff walk, or the tidal pools, you will walk from the campground or the south day use parking... more travel advice
Surfing and kite surfing, also know as fly surfing and kite boarding are very popular sports in Leo Carrillo. Sequite... more travel advice
KimberlyAnn's Related Pages
Leo Carrillo State Beach Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Leo Carrillo State Beach, One of My Favorites"
- "Leo Carrillo State Beach"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Leo Carrillo State Beach
- Hotels in Leo Carrillo State Beach
- Shopping in Leo Carrillo State Beach
- Warnings and Dangers in Leo Carrillo State Beach
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Leo Carrillo State Beach
- 18 Reviews
- 39 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (39)
Have you been to Leo Carrillo State Beach?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Leo Carrillo State Beach
- Posted in Travel Springdale Forum "Re: Zion trip in Winter"
- updated a Leo Carrillo State Beach Travel Page "Leo Carrillo State Beach, One of My Favorites"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Leo Carrillo State Beach, One of My Favorites"
- Commented on one of Basaic's Leo Carrillo State Beach travel pages
- Wrote a Review Walking Under Highway 1 in Leo Carrillo State Beach Favorites
Photos in Leo Carrillo State BeachSee All Photos (39)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yellowstone National Park Intro, 87 reviews, 210 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cody Intro, 65 reviews, 207 photos, 6 travelogues
- Grand Teton National Park Intro, 57 reviews, 142 photos
- Florida Intro, 50 reviews, 92 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Houghton Intro, 42 reviews, 98 photos, 2 travelogues
- Copper Harbor Intro, 36 reviews, 90 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marquette Intro, 31 reviews, 76 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Theodore Roosevelt National Memorial Park Intro, 28 reviews, 60 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Big Bend National Park Intro, 37 reviews, 46 photos
- Death Valley National Park Intro, 26 reviews, 52 photos, 1 travelogue