Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument Hotel Tips by KimberlyAnn Top 5 Page for this destination
Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument Hotels: 9 reviews and 10 photos
Although we camped, there are a variety of accommodations available in the small community of Ajo. Ajo is along highway 85 and is about 17 miles from the border of Organ Pipe, but it is actually about 34 miles to the Visitor Center which lies 17 miles inside the park boarder.
I have listed a few of the establishments that I have found some information on. Since I have not stayed in any of these I cannot give you first hand advice, but all are AAA recommended so they should at least be clean.
The Guest House Inn This is a bed and breakfast with 4 rooms available. This house was originally built in 1925 and rooms are decorated in the early Arizona style. At the rear of the house is a deck that will give you a view of the desert. This house is a one-story home with interior corridors. Address: 700 Guest House Drive, Ajo, Arizona 85321 Phone: 520-387-6133
La Siesta Motel This is a small motel with 11 rooms. In 2001 pets were allowed. This is a one-story establishment with outside entrances. It also has a tennis court. Address: 2561 N Ajo-Gila Bend(P.O. box 384) Hwy Ajo, Arizona 85321
Marine Motel In 2001 pets were allowed in this 21 room one story motel. Address: 1966 N 2nd Ave., Ajo, Arizona 85321 Phone: 520-387-7626
The Mine Manager's House Inn This is an historic bed and breakfast with five rooms. This house is a 1919 Craftsman House located on a hill overlooking the town. It is a one-story building with both interior and exterior corridors. Address: 601 W Greenway Dr., Ajo, Arizona 85321 Phone: 520-387-6505
The Organ Pipe Cactus park map also states that accommodations may be found in Lukeville--the Gringo Pass Campground also had a small motel. See my entry for this campground for additional information.
Our Campsite in Gringo Pass
Gringo Pass Campground is at the southern end of Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument, about 5 miles south of the Monument's campground. This is a private campground located in Lukeville on the Mexican boarder. It is just across the street from the small string of businesses, and next to the boarder-crossing checkpoint. This campground has full hook-ups and was quite inexpensive when we were there. At the time it was not too well managed, and we were warned by a feller camper who had been to Gringo Pass before to check out the electricity before setting up. We chose a spot, and found no difficulties with the electrical hook-up. It is not as pretty here as the campgrounds within the Monument, but you are only allowed to stay in the park for 14 days, and we wanted to remain in the area for at least another week. If you require full hook-ups this campground would be a wonderful one for you, as it is just outside the park, and within an easy walking distance to the only restaurant and shopping in the area. Most of the campers in the campground were transients, spending one night in Gringo Pass before crossing the Mexican boarder the next morning. A few were spending the winter here, because it was very economical, as well as convent to trips into Mexico and into Organ Pipe. When we were there the phone number was 520-387-6849. I recently found the address and phone for this campground on a web directory and it was listed as 602-254-9284
Unique Qualities: A small Mexican Restaurant is just across the street; a duty free store, also across the street will allow you to purchase items at Mexican prices, and you are only two miles away from a small Mexican community where you can purchase wonderful fresh produce and bakery products.
Address: P.O. Box 266, Lukeville, AZ 85341
Comparison: least expensive
Price: less than US$20
Our Campsite in Organ Pipe National Monument
This campground is a first come, first served campground with 208 sites. It is open all year and is very inexpensive. Located 34 miles south of Ajo on SR 85, this campground is located within the park and is surround with the beautiful desert habitat. If you can, try to get an outside site so that you can enjoy the large numbers of birds and other creatures in the area. This is a “dry campground” meaning there are no water hook-ups or showers. There are also no electrical or sewer hook-ups, so be prepared to be self-sufficient. You will find flush toilets and a dump station. The park campground has a 35’ limit and allows a 14-night maximum stay from January 15 through April 30. The ramainder of the year you may stay for up to 30 days. Address is: Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument, Route 1, Box 100, Ajo, AZ 85321-9626
Unique Qualities: From the campground you may enjoy a 2.6-mile round trip hike along the Palo Verde Trail to the visitor center. The 1-mile Campground Perimeter Loop and the 1-mile Desert View Loop trails are also found at the campground. This campground is a wonderful place to just sit and observe birds. We observed gambles quail, curved bill thrushers, black throated sparrows, cardinal, flickers, gila woodpeckers, doves, roadrunners, and cactus wrens. We also enjoyed watching the yuma antelope squirrels, and saw a coyote right behind our camper one evening.
Comparison: least expensive
Price: less than US$20
More Reviews (19)
- See All Refried Beans (Frijoles Refritos)
- For Information
- The Closest Shopping
- Ouch! What was that?
KimberlyAnn's Related Pages
Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument"
- "The Organ Pipe Cactus Border"
- "Basaic Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument Page"
- "Sonoran Desert Primer"
- "Worth the Effort"
- "My New Organ Pipe Page"
- "Organ Pipes - Another special species"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument
- Hotels in Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument
- Transportation in Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument
- Nightlife in Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument
- Restaurants in Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument
- Shopping in Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument
- Warnings and Dangers in Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument
- See All...
Explore the World
- Beijing West Railway Station Jin Jiang Inn
- Adam's Mark Hotel Buffalo
- Hotel Contilia Rome
- Windsor Hotel Milan
- Hotel Galerias
- St Michael's Hotel & Spa
- Corona Del Mar
- Vesta Residence B&B
- Super 8 Mariposa / Yosemite National Park Area
- Red Rock Inn Bed and Breakfast Cottages
- Na Inn
- St Christopher's Orient Espresso Hostel London
- Meadfoot Bay Hotel
- Treasure Island Resort
Badges & Stats in Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument
- 22 Reviews
- 46 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 15 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (39)
Have you been to Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument
- Posted in Travel Springdale Forum "Re: Zion trip in Winter"
- updated a Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument Travel Page "Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument"
- Commented on one of mht_in_la's Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument travel pages
- Wrote a Review Refried Beans (Frijoles Refritos) in Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument Local Customs
Photos in Organ Pipe Cactus National MonumentSee All Photos (46)
Read real reviews about Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument Hotels!
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yellowstone National Park Intro, 87 reviews, 210 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cody Intro, 65 reviews, 207 photos, 6 travelogues
- Grand Teton National Park Intro, 57 reviews, 142 photos
- Florida Intro, 50 reviews, 92 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Houghton Intro, 42 reviews, 98 photos, 2 travelogues
- Copper Harbor Intro, 36 reviews, 90 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marquette Intro, 31 reviews, 76 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Theodore Roosevelt National Memorial Park Intro, 28 reviews, 60 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Big Bend National Park Intro, 37 reviews, 46 photos
- Death Valley National Park Intro, 26 reviews, 52 photos, 1 travelogue