"Chiricahua National Monument" Top 5 Page for this destination Chiricahua National Monument by KimberlyAnn
Chiricahua National Monument Travel Guide: 114 reviews and 242 photos
We arrived at Chiricahua National Monument on January 30, and found it to be cold (at 8:45 P.M. it was 33 degrees), but very beautiful. Although this park lies in southern Arizona, its 5,160 to 7,365 ft elevations keep it cool in the winters. Twenty seven million years ago a volcanic eruption laid down 2,000 feet of ash and pumice. This ash and pumice fused into rhyolite tuff rock, and today you will see unusual rock formations and spires caused by the erosion of this rock. This 12,000 acre monument is a popular area for hikers and birders. Chiricahua, which was called standing up rocks by the Ciricahua Apaches, is 86 percent designated wilderness, with a number of trails varying in degrees of difficulty which will allow you to hike into the interesting rock formations that make this park unique. Our campground host told us that because of the colder winters, and very hot summers, the most popular time of the year to visit is March through May, and October.
If you are interested in history and have an extra half day to hike into Fort Bowie you will find the area very interesting. Following an old military road, the trail taking you into the monument will lead you past a number of historic areas including the ruins of the Butterfield Stage Station, and a post cemetery. Interpretive signs in the historic areas will tell you the story of the area. The photo taken at the fort is the ruins of the fort's post trader. This trading store was known as Sutler's Store.
This photo shows the ruins of the Fort Bowie 1885 cavalry barracks. Interpretive signs at the fort will give you information about the ruins. For more information about Fort Bowie see my Off the Beaten Path tips.
- Pros:A wonderful place to explore a beautiful environment.
- Cons:Summer daytime highs are in the upper 90s, winters bring daytime highs in the 50s and 60s.
The Visitor Center is located along the Bonita Canyon Road, 2 mile from the monument entrance. You will find exhibits... more travel advice
To get to Chiricahua you will need your own car. From highway I-10 exit at Willcox, then follow State Route 186 36 miles... more travel advice
KimberlyAnn's Related Pages
Chiricahua National Monument Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Beautiful Chiricahuas"
- "The Great Escape: Chiricahua National Monument"
- "Chiricahua National Monument"
- ""Wonderland of Rocks""
- "Islands in the Sky"
- "Chiricahua National Monument - AZ - USA"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Chiricahua National Monument
- Hotels in Chiricahua National Monument
- Transportation in Chiricahua National Monument
- Restaurants in Chiricahua National Monument
- Shopping in Chiricahua National Monument
- Warnings and Dangers in Chiricahua National Monument
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Chiricahua National Monument
- 17 Reviews
- 19 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (39)
Have you been to Chiricahua National Monument?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Chiricahua National Monument
- Posted in Travel Arizona Forum "Re: Must see in Souther Arizona"
- updated a Chiricahua National Monument Travel Page "Chiricahua National Monument"
- Wrote a Review The Monument's Visitor Center in Chiricahua National Monument Favorites
- Uploaded a Photo to "The Monument's Visitor Center"
- Commented on one of mtncorg's Chiricahua National Monument travel pages
Photos in Chiricahua National MonumentSee All Photos (19)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yellowstone National Park Intro, 87 reviews, 212 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cody Intro, 67 reviews, 218 photos, 6 travelogues
- Grand Teton National Park Intro, 57 reviews, 142 photos
- Florida Intro, 50 reviews, 92 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Houghton Intro, 42 reviews, 98 photos, 2 travelogues
- Copper Harbor Intro, 36 reviews, 90 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marquette Intro, 31 reviews, 76 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Theodore Roosevelt National Memorial Park Intro, 28 reviews, 60 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Big Bend National Park Intro, 37 reviews, 46 photos
- Death Valley National Park Intro, 26 reviews, 52 photos, 1 travelogue