"KRANJSKA GORA & PLANICA" Top 5 Page for this destination Kranjska Gora by Nykaenen
Kranjska Gora Travel Guide: 146 reviews and 370 photos
And I was there and saw him do it! How much better can it get?
But ok, let's start from the begining...
Those of you familiar with ski jumping probably know that in the vicinity of Kranjska Gora there's the best-known ski flying hill in the world - Planica.
Those of you who know little or nothing about ski jumping probably wonder what it means to be "the best-known ski flying hill". Every year at least 30.000 people come to watch the finale of the World Cup. At least! This year (2003) there were about 60.000 spectators on Saturday and over 40.000 on Sunday!
Planica history goes back to years before WW2 when Stanko Bloudek came to an idea to construct a hill for distances up to 100 m. Planica valley in the northwest part of Julijan Alps was chosen as the suitable location and in 1934 the normal hill was completed. When Kulm and Oberstdorf built bigger hills, Planica lost the leading status. Brothers Gorisek constructed a new hill which was completed in 1969 and which became known as Velikanka (the Giant). Velikanka lived up to its name and with several enlargements and some adjustments maintained the leading status all these years. Smart brothers Gorisek had designed it in such a way that it can be enlarged as needed and no doubt that Planica will not lose the leading status in the years to come.
Ski jumping is in general a very popular sport, but ski flying in Planica became more than just a sports competition. Planica is national pride for Slovenes and with a good reason:
--> Planica is home to all world records since 1986
--> Planica is home to current world record of 231 m set by Matti Hautamaeki
--> Planica is host to World Ski Flying Championships in February 2004.
Nykaenen's Related Pages
Kranjska Gora Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Under the foothills of Julian Alps"
- "Moj drugi dom (My second home)"
- "KRANJSKA GORA & PLANICA"
- "Kranjska Gora - Planica"
- "Gods Country"
- "DOBRODOSLI AT MY KRANJSKA GORA PAGE......:-)"
- "Kranjska Gora"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kranjska Gora
- Hotels in Kranjska Gora
- Transportation in Kranjska Gora
- Nightlife in Kranjska Gora
- Restaurants in Kranjska Gora
- Shopping in Kranjska Gora
- Warnings and Dangers in Kranjska Gora
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Kranjska Gora
- 16 Reviews
- 21 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 29 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (7)
Have you been to Kranjska Gora?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kranjska Gora
Photos in Kranjska GoraSee All Photos (21)
Top 10 Pages
- Zagreb Intro, 42 reviews, 49 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Republic of Montenegro Intro, 34 reviews, 37 photos
- Graz Intro, 18 reviews, 41 photos, 4 travelogues
- Innsbruck Intro, 27 reviews, 29 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kranjska Gora Intro, 16 reviews, 21 photos, 1 travelogue
- Prague Intro, 16 reviews, 19 photos
- Villach Intro, 18 reviews, 13 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vukovar Intro, 13 reviews, 15 photos
- Washington D.C. Intro, 13 reviews, 14 photos
- Bischofshofen Intro, 11 reviews, 16 photos, 1 travelogue