"Ilok Wine Cellars" Ilok by Nykaenen

Ilok Travel Guide: 26 reviews and 70 photos

Ilok is the most eastern place in Croatia. Besides that geographical detail, Ilok is also known for its wine cellars Ilocki podrumi . I went on a 1-day organized trip, probably the best way to go since the main point of the trip is to taste wine (unless you don't drink at all, but lol very few people in Croatia don't, we're a wine country!).

It was not the best of the weather that day, but we were very lucky to get the president of the local tourist board and owner of the restaurant (just to name some of the important positions he holds!) as our guide. Now, I'm usually suspicious of guided tours as people bore you to death with history, facts and figures, but this guy was born entertainer. I'll try to present Ilok and wine cellars the way he presented it to us…

The above photo shows some of the hundreds of wooden wine barrels in the old cellar.
The left one I took in front of the entrance to the old cellar. Although it was Oct 18, these grapes were still unpicked. Some of us were really tempted, but lol all we could do was to look at them and take photos because they were high up out of our reach ;-)))

• Last visit to Ilok: Aug 2003
  • Intro Updated Nov 8, 2003

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    Sep 25, 2004 at 9:55 PM

Great pictures ! I will remind that I should visit this caves. Thanks for sharing !

• cbeaujean's Profile Photo
    Dec 9, 2003 at 9:46 AM

coming from novi sad thru beocin,a very interesting place for its excellent wine,of course....but also its castle,monastery and church.tks,zdenka,for bringing back good memories!

• Imbi's Profile Photo
    Nov 18, 2003 at 2:29 PM

Obviously this castle is in Croatia so the name Dvorac is more than enough....or do you want to call it Buckingham Palace .......LOL.

• diocletianvs's Profile Photo
    Nov 16, 2003 at 11:43 PM

Great photos from Ilok. The castle belonged to the Odescalchi family (so you might call it Odescalchi Castle), 18th C. curia belonged to Brnjakovic family.

• croisbeauty's Profile Photo
    Nov 15, 2003 at 3:24 PM

Yes we do Gili, alots of excellent wine

• coceng's Profile Photo
    Nov 9, 2003 at 11:22 AM

I like the name of this place...I should come here next time I'm in Croatia. Regards.

• Gili_S's Profile Photo
    Oct 28, 2003 at 6:53 AM

Do they really have wine here?

Nykaenen

“I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints.”

Badges & Stats in Ilok