"Museum Old Village Kumrovec" Kumrovec by Nykaenen
Kumrovec Travel Guide: 32 reviews and 78 photos
Kumrovec is probably the best known village in the world! Quite a success for the village that got its name most likely after the expression "kumerni" used by feudal lords to denote poor, miserable serfs living on their land. There's another theory according to which the name was derived from old Celtic word "kumr" meaning mud. Both words described the place throughout centuries so well that it really doesn't matter which one is correct.
For the record, Kumrovec was first mentioned in 1463 and it was only after the World War II that it ceased to be muddy place with poor, miserable people .
The credit for it goes to the man on the left, Josip Broz Tito also known and Marsal Tito. Born as the 7th of 11 children in the family of Franjo and Marija Broz, Tito rose to power and fame few people in world history ever did. When World War II was over and he was chosen as the president of Yugoslavia, Kumrovec gained on importance. Mud houses of Kumrovec, also known as "hize mazanke", all this time a symbol of how poor the place was, became protected national heritage. After restauration and renovation, we got our first and so far only museum in the open - Muzej Staro selo (Museum Old Village). Kumrovec is still referred to primarily as the birthplace of Tito.
Due to historical reasons (fights with Turks), most of Croatia's beautiful castles and manors are located in the North,... more travel advice
Nykaenen's Related Pages
Kumrovec Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Kumrovec - the Old Village Museum"
- "Day trip to Marshall Tito's birth place"
- "Museum Old Village Kumrovec"
- "Titos birthplace & Village Museum"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kumrovec
- Transportation in Kumrovec
- Nightlife in Kumrovec
- Restaurants in Kumrovec
- Warnings and Dangers in Kumrovec
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Kumrovec
- 11 Reviews
- 13 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (7)
Have you been to Kumrovec?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kumrovec
Top 10 Pages
- Zagreb Intro, 42 reviews, 49 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Republic of Montenegro Intro, 34 reviews, 37 photos
- Graz Intro, 18 reviews, 41 photos, 4 travelogues
- Innsbruck Intro, 27 reviews, 29 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kranjska Gora Intro, 16 reviews, 21 photos, 1 travelogue
- Prague Intro, 16 reviews, 19 photos
- Villach Intro, 18 reviews, 13 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vukovar Intro, 13 reviews, 15 photos
- Washington D.C. Intro, 13 reviews, 14 photos
- Bischofshofen Intro, 11 reviews, 16 photos, 1 travelogue