"Vukovar 12 Years After" Top 5 Page for this destination Vukovar by Nykaenen
Vukovar Travel Guide: 36 reviews and 100 photos
Twelve years after, big part of the city is still in ruins
to which it was reduced in 1991 after several months of siege
and day-in day-out shelling by as many as 5.000 shells on worst days.
It took four months to completely destroy
the city of 50.000 inhabitants - 12 years have not been even close enough
to repair the damage.
Not all damage can be repaired, especially the one in people's hearts.
Not all damage is meant to be repaired - this water tower will stay as a reminder
to those who destroyed it as well as to the whole world
that Vukovar must never happen again, not here not anywhere in the world!
Everything else is to be repaired, reconstructed or built anew.
But it takes money.
Money that this country does not have.
During Serbian agression on Vukovar in 1991, according to data from Vukovar General Hospital, 1624 people were killed and about 22.000 Croats and members of other ethnic groups were forced to leave the city. 261 person was taken away from Vukovar hospital, among them wounded soldiers and civilians; 200 of them were slaughtered in Ovcara. Where others were killed and burried is still not known. Several thousand of Vukovars were taken to Serbian concentration camps.
(translated from Slobodna Dalmacija, Croatian daily newspaper)
- In a nutshell:It's hard to hold back tears
Nothing was left intact in Vukovar. If a house or a building was not leveled to the ground, then only walls survived.... more travel advice
Nykaenen's Related Pages
Vukovar Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Vukovar 12 Years After"
- "Almost a ghost town"
- "A place that made me think hard"
- "City rising from the ashes"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Vukovar
- Hotels in Vukovar
- Transportation in Vukovar
- Nightlife in Vukovar
- Restaurants in Vukovar
- Warnings and Dangers in Vukovar
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Vukovar
- 13 Reviews
- 15 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 26 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (14)
Have you been to Vukovar?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Vukovar
Top 10 Pages
- Zagreb Intro, 42 reviews, 49 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Republic of Montenegro Intro, 34 reviews, 37 photos
- Graz Intro, 18 reviews, 41 photos, 4 travelogues
- Innsbruck Intro, 27 reviews, 29 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kranjska Gora Intro, 16 reviews, 21 photos, 1 travelogue
- Prague Intro, 16 reviews, 19 photos
- Villach Intro, 18 reviews, 13 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vukovar Intro, 13 reviews, 15 photos
- Washington D.C. Intro, 13 reviews, 14 photos
- Bischofshofen Intro, 11 reviews, 16 photos, 1 travelogue