"WILD BEAUTY" Top 5 Page for this destination Republic of Montenegro by Nykaenen

Republic of Montenegro Travel Guide: 2,488 reviews and 5,984 photos

Montenegro chose wild beauty as her promotional slogan and wild beauty it is!
Mountain chains are neverending! Canyons are frighteningly deep (Tara canyon is 2nd deepest in the world after the Grand Canyon)!
Roads are nerve-breaking! Tunnels outnumber inhabitants...
The above photo best illustrates 90% of the country --> mountains wherever you look!!! Although from lower altitudes mountain ranges might look frightening,
view from peaks is awesome and worth all the sweating and sore muscles :)))

During my 10-day stay, I based myself in Podgorica because I was staying with a friend there. If you don't have a good friend there, you have hardly any reason to visit the capital (unles you want to see what a place not worth visiting looks like). Sad, but true.

Where to go, what to see? Montenegrin coastline is 293 km long with 73 km of beaches. Budva is probably the most famous seaside resort, Ulcinj has the most beautiful beach (13 km long).
There are twice as many Belgrade car plates as all others combined meaning that tourists from Belgrade set trends. If you like Serbian turbo folk music and glittery clothes, then you'll like most seaside resorts, esp Budva. I'm no fan of such lifestyle and the seaside did not appeal to me particularly.

Montenegrin interior is the real jewel of the country. Mountains, canyons, monasteries and the town of Cetinje are in my opinion much more worth of your time and money. During hot summer days (and nights!), a stay in the mountains can be double rewarding. Tourist brouchures will tell you that an average air temperature in summer is 27,4 C, but my experience was 39 C and up, esp in Podgorica.

• Pros:Beautiful nature
  • Cons:Poor infrastructure (roads, accomodation)
  • Last visit to Republic of Montenegro: Aug 2003
  • Intro Updated Aug 8, 2006

• Hermanater's Profile Photo
    Jan 5, 2011 at 11:27 AM

Have a Very Happy Birthday. I really enjoyed travelling the world through your pages.

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Aug 20, 2010 at 1:59 PM

Zdenka, I am looking forward to having my first Niksicko tomorrow night. Of course I will pay with Euro. *winkygrin*

• yumyum's Profile Photo
    Jun 13, 2010 at 3:44 AM

Excellent overview! Hope to visit this year :)

• glabah's Profile Photo
    Nov 18, 2009 at 7:39 AM

Wonderful photos of this place. Decided to stop by and see what you wrote about a place as you were the featured traveler just now. Managed to hit a jackpot of good stuff.

• Feb 14, 2009 at 5:35 PM

I'm 6'1" :)

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Nov 7, 2007 at 10:43 PM

Sound just too good :-)) Durmitor NP looks like the place for me, and the monasteries as well :-) And strawberries... ah yes, I would be the same "This is my last one" and eat 5,7 kg more of them :-) Thanks for this page :-)

• FruitLover's Profile Photo
    Oct 24, 2007 at 12:12 PM

pozamky/ truskavky/ Strawberries/ wild/ not wild.... I want them in my mouth, NOW.. or in coming Dec - Jan. Not far from Belgrade Montenegro is tempting. Very helpful,Thanx for sharing.

• KristaB's Profile Photo
    Jul 6, 2007 at 2:35 AM

Ej, super su ti tipovi, evo sad cu si ih sprintat (ma ne one nego ove) jer sutra idem u CG - "I know it's only rock 'n roll but I like it!!" ;o)

• branx's Profile Photo
    Dec 10, 2006 at 10:48 PM

Look forward to visiting Ostrog, my cousin had such a good feeling when she visited that she travelled from Australia with her fiance to be married there. Your pages are fantastic!

• hindu1936's Profile Photo
    Oct 17, 2006 at 5:55 AM

Thanks for some good history and photos of this struggling country.

Nykaenen

“I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints.”

Badges & Stats in Republic of Montenegro

Have you been to Republic of Montenegro?

Latest Activity in Republic of Montenegro