"Bisbee - AZ - USA" Bisbee by TinKan
Bisbee Travel Guide: 111 reviews and 365 photos
Bisbee, 90 miles southeast of Tucson, is the picturesque county seat of historic Cochise County. The community was founded in 1880 and named after Judge DeWitt Bisbee, a financial backer of the Copper Queen Mine.
This Old West mining camp proved to be one of the richest mineral sites in the world, producing nearly three million ounces of gold and more than eight billion pounds of copper, not to mention the silver, lead and zinc that came from these rich Mule Mountains. By the early 1900s, the Bisbee community was the largest city between St. Louis and San Francisco.
In 1902 it had a population of 20,000 people and had become the most cultured city in the Southwest. Despite its culture, however, the rough edges of the mining camps could be found in notorious Brewery Gulch, with its saloons and shady ladies.
In 1908 a fire ravaged most of Bisbee's commercial district along Main Street, leaving nothing but a pile of ashes. Reconstruction began immediately and by 1910 most of the district had been rebuilt and remains completely intact today.
Activities began to slow as the mines played out and the population began to shrink; mining operations on a large scale became unprofitable in 1975.
Bisbee has since evolved into an attractive artist colony and retirement community emphasizing monthly special events and tourism. Travelers from all over the world come to Bisbee to savor its unique charm ... an uncommon blend of creativity, friendliness, style, romance and adventure — all wrapped in the splendor of the Old West.
In downtown Bisbee (ha-ha) you will find the Stock Exchange Bar. This is a nice place to just sit and have a drink (or... more travel advice
For good transportation around the town of Bisbee you can take the trolley car or bus that is traveling around the town... more travel advice
TinKan's Related Pages
Bisbee Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Bisbee - A Haven for Artists and Hippies"
- "Another world hidden in a canyon"
- "Bisbee - find your artist"
- "Bisbee, Arizona"
- "bottleofdoom's new Bisbee Page"
- "Bisbee Arizona"
- "Bisbee Arizona - "Little San Fransico""
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bisbee
- Hotels in Bisbee
- Transportation in Bisbee
- Nightlife in Bisbee
- Restaurants in Bisbee
- Shopping in Bisbee
- Warnings and Dangers in Bisbee
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Bisbee
- 4 Reviews
- 7 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (21)
Have you been to Bisbee?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bisbee
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Isla de Roatán Intro, 43 reviews, 87 photos, 5 travelogues
- Antoneys Cay Intro, 38 reviews, 82 photos, 5 travelogues
- Portugal Intro, 38 reviews, 72 photos, 4 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 30 reviews, 71 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination El Segundo Intro, 22 reviews, 62 photos, 5 travelogues
- Munich Intro, 25 reviews, 56 photos, 5 travelogues
- Salzburg Intro, 30 reviews, 42 photos, 2 travelogues
- West End Intro, 24 reviews, 47 photos, 3 travelogues
- Pompeii Intro, 17 reviews, 42 photos, 3 travelogues
- Cascais Intro, 16 reviews, 42 photos, 3 travelogues