Sintra Things to Do Tips by TinKan
Sintra Things to Do: 285 reviews and 559 photos
Take a walk arounf the back streets of Sintra. You will find some hidden treasures and some great deals on shopping.
You will also find some great little local eating places where you can taste some of the Portuguese dishes.
Consisting of various bodies built during the course of successive epochs on the so-called "Chão da Oliva", the Paço da Vila de Sintra is one of the most important examples of regal architecture in Portugal and for that reason is classified as a National Monument. This gradual multiplication of buildings, with different styles, is largely responsible for the enigmatic enchantment of this ancient palace, dominated by great twin chimneys atop the kitchen that constitute as authentic ex-libris of Sintra.
Castle of the Mouros
The castle of the Moors is a ruins that many people over look on their visit to Sintra but it is a must see while here. The Moors in the 8th or 9th Century A.D constructed the castle on two peaks of the Sierra de Sintra above the old city of Sintra and from its walls there are magnificent views of the lands below. Surrounded by walls and several towers are several ruins of churches and homes. It underwent various repairs around 1860, when King Consort Fernando of Saxe Coburg-Gotha restored it.
Upon the hill over looking Sintra is the Pena Palace. The view from the palace is awesome as you can see Lisbon, Cascais and Marfa which is most of the area.
The palace is very colorful and has many unique carvings that I think you will be impressed with.
You can either walk to the palace, take the bus or the horse and carrage to th top.
Check out the travelogue for pictures of the palace.
More Reviews (10)
- Fight for parking
- See All A little bit of everything
- Up the hill
- Small access
TinKan's Related Pages
Sintra Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Freshness near Lisbon"
- "The Pinnacle of Portugal !"
- "Keeweechic's Sintra"
- "Magic Town"
- "Sintra, Portugal"
- "THE NOBLE TOWN OF SINTRA"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Sintra
- Hotels in Sintra
- Transportation in Sintra
- Nightlife in Sintra
- Restaurants in Sintra
- Shopping in Sintra
- Warnings and Dangers in Sintra
- See All...
Explore the World
- Chilham Hotels
- Kalunel Ulpotha Hotels
- Muonio Hotels
- Dos Bocas Hotels
- Cape Coast
- Angkor Wat
Badges & Stats in Sintra
- 14 Reviews
- 33 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 17 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (20)
Have you been to Sintra?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Sintra
Photos in SintraSee All Photos (33)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Isla de Roatán Intro, 43 reviews, 87 photos, 5 travelogues
- Antoneys Cay Intro, 38 reviews, 82 photos, 5 travelogues
- Portugal Intro, 38 reviews, 72 photos, 4 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 30 reviews, 71 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination El Segundo Intro, 22 reviews, 62 photos, 5 travelogues
- Munich Intro, 25 reviews, 56 photos, 5 travelogues
- Salzburg Intro, 30 reviews, 42 photos, 2 travelogues
- West End Intro, 24 reviews, 47 photos, 3 travelogues
- Pompeii Intro, 17 reviews, 42 photos, 3 travelogues
- Cascais Intro, 16 reviews, 42 photos, 3 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (104)
Latest Sintra hotel reviews
- Penha Longa Hotel & Golf Resort
- 342 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 6, 2013
- Quinta de Sao Thiago
- 24 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 3, 2013
- Hotel Tivoli Palacio de Seteais
- 130 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 12, 2013
- 106 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 28, 2013
- Quinta da Capela
- 19 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 1, 2009
- Tivoli Sintra
- 151 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 1, 2013
- Pestana Sintra Golf Resort and Spa Hotel
- 52 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 30, 2013
- Quinta das Sequoias
- 1 Review & Opinion
- Quinta da Regaleira- 32 Reviews, 65 Photos
- Castelo dos Mouros - Moorish Castle- 43 Reviews, 86 Photos
- Palácio da Pena - Pena Palace- 54 Reviews, 124 Photos
- Palácio Nacional de Sintra - Sintra National Palace- 60 Reviews, 114 Photos
- Monserrate Palace- 11 Reviews, 18 Photos
- City Views- 8 Reviews, 26 Photos
- Moorish Fountain- 6 Reviews, 6 Photos
- details/architecture- 5 Reviews, 11 Photos
- Seteais Palace- 5 Reviews, 5 Photos
- Sintra Toy Museum- 4 Reviews, 8 Photos
See All Sintra Things to Do