"Tivoli, Italy" Tivoli by TinKan
Tivoli Travel Guide: 140 reviews and 502 photos
From the hills around the town of Tivoli, formerly known as Tibur in ancient times, you can look some twenty miles or more to the west towards the great city of Rome. Nowhere is it better to contemplate and escape the heat of Rome than from the cool hills of Tivoli.
The town of Tivoli has much historic value to the surrounding area. This is the summer place that the Emperor Hadrian and some of the more important rulers of Rome would come to spend their summer months to plan conquest and entertain.
The Emperor Hadrian had built the Ville Adriana and to entertain, its great summertime theater in 125 to 135 on top of the old Roman ruins of the Temple of Sibilla that dated back to well before the second century BC.
The grounds and buildings of the Ville Adriana, which is a place of grandeur and beauty, can still be seen to this day.
Ville d'Este was the private residence and fountain-gardens of Cardinal Ippolito d'Este in the 1500s and has over five hundred water jets and fountains throughout the estate. The town of Tivoli formed around this estate.
The water and water pressure to make the fountains work comes from the downhill flow of the Tiber River that flows nearby.
The house and gardens are open to the public and are worth a visit.
- Pros:Very cheap day out of Rome
- Cons:Not enought time spent at Villa Adriana with the bus trip
- In a nutshell:Such a great place to spend a day
Stop and relax and just listen to the water trickling in the fountains. (Then run like hell to the WC…haha) There was... more travel advice
This is a bath fit for kings and Popes. Again it is made from the marble that was collected from all over the Roman... more travel advice
TinKan's Related Pages
Tivoli Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A Tivoli Taster"
- "DAY TRIP TO TIVOLI"
- "Tivoli - UNESCO World Heritage Site"
- "The Tivoli's villas"
- "Up in the hills........"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Tivoli
- Hotels in Tivoli
- Transportation in Tivoli
- Restaurants in Tivoli
- Shopping in Tivoli
- Warnings and Dangers in Tivoli
- See All...
Explore the World
- San Jose
- Canary Islands
- Palma de Mallorca Hotels
- Sayville Hotels
- La Línea de la Concepción
- Hlavni Mesto Praha
- Bagan Serai Hotels
- Makassar Hotels
- Pulau Pangkor Hotels
- Newcastle Hotels
- Everglades City
Badges & Stats in Tivoli
- 12 Reviews
- 29 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 19 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (20)
Have you been to Tivoli?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Tivoli
Photos in TivoliSee All Photos (29)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Isla de Roatán Intro, 43 reviews, 87 photos, 5 travelogues
- Antoneys Cay Intro, 38 reviews, 82 photos, 5 travelogues
- Portugal Intro, 38 reviews, 72 photos, 4 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 30 reviews, 71 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination El Segundo Intro, 22 reviews, 62 photos, 5 travelogues
- Munich Intro, 25 reviews, 56 photos, 5 travelogues
- Salzburg Intro, 30 reviews, 42 photos, 2 travelogues
- West End Intro, 24 reviews, 47 photos, 3 travelogues
- Pompeii Intro, 17 reviews, 42 photos, 3 travelogues
- Cascais Intro, 16 reviews, 42 photos, 3 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (104)
Latest Tivoli hotel reviews
- Hotel Sirene
- 1 Review & Opinion