Isla de Roatán Things to Do Tips by TinKan Top 5 Page for this destination
Isla de Roatán Things to Do: 75 reviews and 165 photos
There is a place called "Roatan Institute for Marine Sciences" (RIMS) located on the island that teaches the children and adults all about how the reef lives and survives.
There is also a museum here that will teach you about the Roatan Bay islands and it’s history.
It is free to enter and is a good way to spend some time out of the sun and in the air-conditioning and learn a little as well.
Address: On Anthony's Key Resort property
Pic by Ron Pycraft
The Agular is an older wreck that sits in about 80 to 120 feet of water. There are two resident moray eels that can be found here that are very friendly. The larger of the eels (a green one) will come up to you and tap you. (Remember to not feed them or put your fingers out).
There is a very nice swim through at the bow of the wreck which is facing the reef and shore. While going through the swim through you will notice loads of small glass fish.
Directions: The Agular is an older wreck that sits in about 80 to 120 feet of water. So I guess you will have to dive. The site is about 2 mile north of AKR on the west shore.
A view of Mary's Place
Mary's Place is the signature dive site for the Island of Roatan. Here you will find an awesome crack under water. You enter the crack at about 20 feet of water and come out at over 85 feet.
There are many things to see above the crack as well so if you have a dive buddy that does not like entering closed places they can dive just above you and meet you on the other side of the crack.
Keep an eye out for the sea horses.
Flowers in the garden
Take a walk on the wild side and watch the playful monkey lala scurry along the jungle trails as you enjoy flowering plants, orchids, exotic spices and fruit trees, including the very popular "Chocolate Tree" and of course, the world famous Honduran mahogany tree.
The gardens offer a perfect place for hiking, bird watching, wildlife and scenic photography, nature studies and, of course, relaxation. An interesting new area is reserved for the islands medicinal plants.
Be sure to bring your camera as you make your way to the summit of the Carambola Mountain. Along the way you will see an area where nature has provided almost a sheer cliff, thus protecting the iguana and parrot breeding grounds historically known as the "Iguana Wall".
Upon reaching the top, sit and relax on the summit deck and enjoy Roatan's most magnificent view with all the colors of the coral reef laid out before you.
Whether you spend 15 minutes or all day at Carambola gardens it will truly be an unforgettable experience. Carambola gardens are a MUST SEE for any visitor to the Bay Islands.
Carambola Botanical Gardens, in Sandy Bay is Open 7 days/week from 8am-5pm, the cost is $5 per person (ask about their special family rate).
Contact Bill or Irma Brady at 445-1117 for more information or email them at email@example.com
Other Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Phone: +504 445-1117
More Reviews (39)
- See All History of the island
- See All Island Goods
- See All Drink Drink and more Drink
- See All Coconut Tree Divers
- See All Caribbean tasting food with an Asian...
- See All Drinking and diving
TinKan's Related Pages
Isla de Roatán Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Island of Roatan - Honduras"
- "Isla de Roatan, Honduras"
- "Roatan of Las Islas de la Bahia"
- "A Nice Balance Of Shear Relaxation & Terror !"
- "La isla Bonita"
- "The Adventure"
- "Perfect Mixture of Caribbean and Central America"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Isla de Roatán
- Hotels in Isla de Roatán
- Transportation in Isla de Roatán
- Nightlife in Isla de Roatán
- Restaurants in Isla de Roatán
- Shopping in Isla de Roatán
- Warnings and Dangers in Isla de Roatán
- See All...
Explore the World
- Abbaye d'Orval
- Alajuela Hotels
- Hounslow Hotels
- Fort Pierce Hotels
- Tarbaca Hotels
Badges & Stats in Isla de Roatán
- 43 Reviews
- 90 Photos
- 28 Forum posts
- 75 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (20)
Have you been to Isla de Roatán?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Isla de Roatán
Photos in Isla de RoatánSee All Photos (90)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Isla de Roatán Intro, 43 reviews, 87 photos, 5 travelogues
- Antoneys Cay Intro, 38 reviews, 82 photos, 5 travelogues
- Portugal Intro, 38 reviews, 72 photos, 4 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 30 reviews, 71 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination El Segundo Intro, 22 reviews, 62 photos, 5 travelogues
- Munich Intro, 25 reviews, 56 photos, 5 travelogues
- Salzburg Intro, 30 reviews, 42 photos, 2 travelogues
- West End Intro, 24 reviews, 47 photos, 3 travelogues
- Pompeii Intro, 17 reviews, 42 photos, 3 travelogues
- Cascais Intro, 16 reviews, 42 photos, 3 travelogues