"The Island of Roatan - Honduras" Top 5 Page for this destination Isla de Roatán by TinKan
Isla de Roatán Travel Guide: 312 reviews and 706 photos
Roatan, which is part of the Bay Islands, is located near the 2nd largest barrier reef in the world. This exotic tropical island has everything one could wish for in paradise.
Roatan Island is located about 35 miles northeast of the north coast of Honduras. Roatan is 38 miles long and about 4 miles wide at its widest point. (remember this for parties)
Roatan is the largest of eight islands that are collectively known as Las Islas de la Bahia. These islands sit upon the Bonacca Ridge. The ridge is the result of an enormous crack that runs long the ocean floor. Lava welled up through this crack and formed the Caribbean plate, which buckled and created the Bonacca Ridge.
Check out http://www.roatanet.com/
At Anthony's Key Resort, which is where we stayed, you can take a scuba class to begin you Scuba life or take a specialty class in Rescue, Advanced, Underwater photographer, night diver or one of any of the other classes offered by this 5 star PADI center.
You can even do you IDC here if you want or you can learn to snorkel.
This was a great place to swim with the dolphins and all at your own pace.
Check out my Anthony's Key page more information about AKR.
The Bay Islands of Honduras offer a very different world from that of mainland Honduras. The island has a very a unique heritage. In the islands history there were many disagreements between the Spaniards and the British. However during colonial times the British controlled the islands most of time and even today there are many British here as well as Americans and a few Europeans.
Christopher Columbus is reputed to have landed here on his fourth and last voyage to the "Indies" and actually encountered canoes with Paya Indians. He also mentioned the excellent quality of the fresh water that he found on the Island, saying "he had never tasted sweeter water of better quality"
- In a nutshell:"Dive, Eat, Drink, Sleep ... repete as needed"
When you first step foot onto the island you think...WOW.... and that feeling stays with you for a very long time. There... more travel advice
The Twisted Toucan is a great spot to start and end the evening. The food is a little slow to get out of the kitchen but... more travel advice
- See All Coconut Tree Divers
- See All Caribbean tasting food with an Asian...
- See All Drinking and diving
- See All Foster's vacation and cabin rentals
- See All TACA Airlines
TinKan's Related Pages
Isla de Roatán Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Island of Roatan - Honduras"
- "Isla de Roatan, Honduras"
- "Roatan of Las Islas de la Bahia"
- "A Nice Balance Of Shear Relaxation & Terror !"
- "La isla Bonita"
- "The Adventure"
- "Perfect Mixture of Caribbean and Central America"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Isla de Roatán
- Hotels in Isla de Roatán
- Transportation in Isla de Roatán
- Nightlife in Isla de Roatán
- Restaurants in Isla de Roatán
- Shopping in Isla de Roatán
- Warnings and Dangers in Isla de Roatán
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Isla de Roatán
- 43 Reviews
- 90 Photos
- 28 Forum posts
- 69 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (21)
Have you been to Isla de Roatán?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Isla de Roatán
Photos in Isla de RoatánSee All Photos (90)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Isla de Roatán Intro, 43 reviews, 87 photos, 5 travelogues
- Antoneys Cay Intro, 38 reviews, 82 photos, 5 travelogues
- Portugal Intro, 38 reviews, 72 photos, 4 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 30 reviews, 71 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination El Segundo Intro, 22 reviews, 62 photos, 5 travelogues
- Munich Intro, 25 reviews, 56 photos, 5 travelogues
- Salzburg Intro, 30 reviews, 42 photos, 2 travelogues
- West End Intro, 24 reviews, 47 photos, 3 travelogues
- Pompeii Intro, 17 reviews, 42 photos, 3 travelogues
- Cascais Intro, 16 reviews, 42 photos, 3 travelogues