"Utila - Bay Islands, Honduras" Top 5 Page for this destination Utila by TinKan
Utila Travel Guide: 41 reviews and 25 photos
This is another one of the beautiful bay islands of Honduras.
Utila is the smallest and the flattest of the three major Bay Islands and is closest to the Honduran Mainland. Utila is located about 18 miles from the Honduran coast and can be reached from La Ceiba either by ferry or air.
Utila is a different world to mainland Honduras because of the British influence on the Bay Islands for 300 years. The island is mostly uninhabited except for the small fishing village of East Harbor with a population of 6000. The main language on the island is English whereas mainland Honduras uses Spanish. Historically Utila was largely a fishing and agrarian community. Its claim to fame is that Henry Morgan's treasure is buried somewhere on the Island.
- Pros:Not expensive, quiet, great nature
- Cons:Hard to get to at times
- In a nutshell:A paradise and naturlist dream island
The Tropical Ferry operates Monday through Friday, leaving from La Ceiba's municipal dock located east of La Ceiba. The... more travel advice
TinKan's Related Pages
Utila Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Underwater paradise!"
- "Utila - Bay Islands, Honduras"
- "Rustic but Beautiful"
- "Utila - A divers Paradise"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Utila
- Hotels in Utila
- Transportation in Utila
- Nightlife in Utila
- Restaurants in Utila
- Warnings and Dangers in Utila
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Utila
- 2 Reviews
- 1 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (64)
Have you been to Utila?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Utila
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Isla de Roatán Intro, 43 reviews, 87 photos, 5 travelogues
- Antoneys Cay Intro, 38 reviews, 82 photos, 5 travelogues
- Portugal Intro, 38 reviews, 72 photos, 4 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 30 reviews, 71 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination El Segundo Intro, 22 reviews, 62 photos, 5 travelogues
- Munich Intro, 25 reviews, 56 photos, 5 travelogues
- Salzburg Intro, 30 reviews, 42 photos, 2 travelogues
- West End Intro, 24 reviews, 47 photos, 3 travelogues
- Pompeii Intro, 17 reviews, 42 photos, 3 travelogues
- Cascais Intro, 16 reviews, 42 photos, 3 travelogues