"Nicosia ~ The last divided city" Top 5 Page for this destination Nicosia by Loubna
Nicosia Travel Guide: 287 reviews and 663 photos
Nicosia...my home for the past three years. If anyone told me that I would be living here a few years ago I would of thought they were crazy! A job transfer later and I landed here. London or Cyprus - after 12 years in London I chose Cyprus :o)
A bit of a love hate relationship really and it all depends of the season :o)
Nicosia is formed of the pedestrianised old town and the new town. There are quite a few places to seat and have a few drinks. The town is deserted at the weekend when everyone goes to the coast in summer and the mountains in winter.
Nicosia is very easy going and sometimes too much. 3 years later and I am still trying to get used to the shopping hours, all shops close on Wednesday and Saturday afternoon, the whole of Sunday as well as a couple of hours at lunchtime. Great if you work in retail, not so great if you are the customer.
This is definitely the most secure place I have lived. I could walk at any time of the night in the streets and not feel threathened and live in a house without bars on the windows.
There are plenty of places to go out although it does get tiresome. Most places have a crowd of "I spent 5 hours getting ready and I won't move too much in case my make up gets disturbed" :o) I am lucky enough to have a group of crazy friends so we make the most of it :o)
My neighbour is a great 91 year old Cypriot woman. Yaya, grand-mother in Greek. She has adopted me as well as the rest of her familly. She is an amazing woman. The past year has been a hard time and she was a great source of support.
Should I want to stay in for the evening she always pushes me to go out and enjoy myself. Had a few parties at my house and she rejoices to hear young people having fun even when the music is only put down at 5 in the morning :o) Gave my life in Cyprus a whole different perspective.
- Pros:The last divided city in the world - worth a visit if you are in Cyprus
- Cons:Please read the article on the Nicosia Travelogue....
This is definitely the best Indian restaurant in town. The actual restaurant itself is a little bit upper class but the... more travel advice
This is the smallest and newest hotel of the two Hiltons in Nicosia. It is different than the main one as it has an... more travel advice
- See All The Institution of Makarios Avenue
- Avoid Nicosia in the summer
- The Green Line Display - Ledra Street
- See All The plant clock
- Watch out for the sun
Loubna's Related Pages
Nicosia Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Capital of Cyprus - twice..."
- "Nicosia ~ The last divided city"
- "The Last Divided City on Earth"
- " NICOSIA"
- "NICOSIA, Old Houses, Narrow Streets and History"
- "A city cut in half."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Nicosia
- Hotels in Nicosia
- Transportation in Nicosia
- Nightlife in Nicosia
- Restaurants in Nicosia
- Shopping in Nicosia
- Warnings and Dangers in Nicosia
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Nicosia
- 31 Reviews
- 64 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 17 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to Nicosia?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Nicosia
- Posted in Travel Riyadh Forum "Re: women with blond hair"
- Wrote a Review The best Indian food in town in Nicosia Restaurants
- Uploaded a Photo to "The best Indian food in town"
- updated a Nicosia Travel Page "Nicosia ~ The last divided city"
- Commented on one of Knocking_at_Heaven's Nicosia travel pages
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nicosia Intro, 31 reviews, 64 photos, 5 travelogues
- Kuala Lumpur Intro, 10 reviews, 43 photos, 3 travelogues
- Melaka Intro, 3 reviews, 31 photos, 4 travelogues
- Karpasia Intro, 11 reviews, 21 photos, 2 travelogues
- Pulau Langkawi Intro, 6 reviews, 22 photos, 1 travelogue
- Cyprus Intro, 26 photos, 4 travelogues
- Lebanon Intro, 18 photos, 2 travelogues
- Berlin Intro, 17 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bellapais Intro, 3 reviews, 14 photos, 1 travelogue
- Athens Intro, 2 reviews, 12 photos, 2 travelogues