"Nicosia ~ The last divided city" Top 5 Page for this destination Nicosia by Loubna

Nicosia Travel Guide: 290 reviews and 677 photos

Nicosia...home for the past three years

Nicosia...my home for the past three years. If anyone told me that I would be living here a few years ago I would of thought they were crazy! A job transfer later and I landed here. London or Cyprus - after 12 years in London I chose Cyprus :o)

A bit of a love hate relationship really and it all depends of the season :o)

Nicosia is formed of the pedestrianised old town and the new town. There are quite a few places to seat and have a few drinks. The town is deserted at the weekend when everyone goes to the coast in summer and the mountains in winter.

Life in Nicosia

Nicosia is very easy going and sometimes too much. 3 years later and I am still trying to get used to the shopping hours, all shops close on Wednesday and Saturday afternoon, the whole of Sunday as well as a couple of hours at lunchtime. Great if you work in retail, not so great if you are the customer.

This is definitely the most secure place I have lived. I could walk at any time of the night in the streets and not feel threathened and live in a house without bars on the windows.

There are plenty of places to go out although it does get tiresome. Most places have a crowd of "I spent 5 hours getting ready and I won't move too much in case my make up gets disturbed" :o) I am lucky enough to have a group of crazy friends so we make the most of it :o)

An Adopted familly

My neighbour is a great 91 year old Cypriot woman. Yaya, grand-mother in Greek. She has adopted me as well as the rest of her familly. She is an amazing woman. The past year has been a hard time and she was a great source of support.

Should I want to stay in for the evening she always pushes me to go out and enjoy myself. Had a few parties at my house and she rejoices to hear young people having fun even when the music is only put down at 5 in the morning :o) Gave my life in Cyprus a whole different perspective.

• Pros:The last divided city in the world - worth a visit if you are in Cyprus
  • Cons:Please read the article on the Nicosia Travelogue....
  • Intro Updated Nov 6, 2005

• Arkeolog's Profile Photo
    Jul 30, 2007 at 2:54 AM

Hi Loubna, visited ur Cyprus pages and i liked it. I live in both Turkey and N.Cyprus. I love N. cyprus. Best wishes from Istanbul. Bora

• mary2u99's Profile Photo
    Jul 23, 2006 at 10:14 PM

Great page and tips on Nicosia. :-)

• May 13, 2006 at 12:42 AM

Couldn't agree more, this is an excellent indian restaurant, good value for money in my opionion as well.

• tak_pap's Profile Photo
    Dec 14, 2005 at 9:24 AM

great presentation. Good comments and tips. Greetings from Greece

• benazer's Profile Photo
    Dec 5, 2005 at 8:34 AM

Not very sure but in the picture named "market" someone in a blue shirt by the entrance is me.

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Nov 3, 2005 at 10:19 AM

It's a great place for a visit!

• Ben-UK's Profile Photo
    Nov 3, 2005 at 10:14 AM

Just passed through Nicosia a few years ago en route from Paphos to Kyrenia & Bellapais --hope to visit again one day -- very nice photos in your Travelogues.

• Minashka's Profile Photo
    Aug 22, 2005 at 2:23 PM

Your yaya sounds wonderful! Reminds me of my late grandma... although my granny hated it when I wore shorts or would go out with guys ;-) Well enjoy your life and thanks for sharing part of your life with us... Minai

• MrBill's Profile Photo
    Feb 15, 2005 at 5:14 AM

I was in Nicosia last week to visit friends. Next time I am there perhaps we can meet up for a drink or a coffee? On which side of the line do you live? Bill.

• Yiannis2000's Profile Photo
    Apr 15, 2004 at 6:53 AM

Belated Easter greetings, thanks for the tips!

Loubna Lives Here!

Loubna

“It's all up to you!”

Badges & Stats in Nicosia

Have you been to Nicosia?

Latest Activity in Nicosia