"Hurricaine Utah - Dixie Hostel or bust" Hurricane by iarussi

Hurricane Travel Guide: 5 reviews and 8 photos

My first of many visits to Dixie

How do I start? I was returning from my month long hiatus to the deserts of Arizona. Lake Havasu was a blast and the heat was wonderful after the cold 2002 winter in Salt Lake City, Utah.

I crossed the border back into Utah and first discovered
Saint george, utah. Known as Dixie .

Saint George is a growing retirement community that boasts something like a dozen or so gold courses and two wal marts within 5 miles of each other. Beyond that, it is a sleepy little community with a community college also known as Dixie. Nothing to write home about.

Coming from NYC, and have traveled to many parts of the globe. I had yet explored the national parks of Utah or the West for that matter.
I camped a few days outside of the town of saint George , Utah off Highway 15 . The nights were still very chilly in Hurricaine . ALso paying almost $15 for state camp sights that offer no showers seemed a bit extreme.

While riding up main street toward the town of La Verkin, Utah. I stumbled upon the Hurricaine , Utah Chamber Of Commerce and Visitors Bureau, It was there I spoke to a painter who directed me next door to the Dixie Hostel. A place that is hosted by a Northeasterner named Jim who migrated from Boston, Mass. to run the Dixie Hostel .

I immediately fell in love with the place. Just a few miles from the hot springs and not to far from Zion National Park. Dixie Hostel offered a clean bed, showers, a full kitchen. A library of videos, a computer with internet access and a house full of travellers from around the globe.

There si never a boring moment at the Dixie Hostela nd the place is immaculate. A better deal for $15 a night for a dorm room, $35.00 for a pvt room you will not find. The morning breakfast is even included in the price, taht includes bread, peanut butter, coffee, fresh fruit,. local and national newspapers and great conversation.

I made about 3 or 4 trips to Dixie Hostel and have made a wonderful friend in Jim. This place is a must for the outdoors person exploring the Zion, Bryce area.

• Pros:Dixie Hostel, the local hot springs, the beautiful summer nights,
  • Cons:Limited entertainment, Town is rather Conservative and for the Gateway of Zion. I would not say it is a tourist friendly town.
  • In a nutshell:Dixie Hostel makes a hurricaine stay worthwhile
  • Last visit to Hurricane: May 2002
  • Intro Written Apr 12, 2003

Comments

iarussi

“lets go mets”

This member has not been ranked.
No VT rank yet.

Badges & Stats in Hurricane

Have you been to Hurricane?

Latest Activity in Hurricane