"Syria, Old Rag, and the Upper Cabin" Syria by Alisonchilla
Syria Travel Guide: 3 reviews and 10 photos
Once or twice a year, a group of my friends vacations and parties in Syria. The rule: NO TECHNOLOGY. There is no TV or phone in the place we rent, and the place is a dead-zone for cell phones.
Old Rag is the nearby mountain that you can hike, and the Upper Cabin is the place we stay.
We usually go horseback riding and hiking. Then we do lots of eating, drinking, sleeping, and soaking up the warmth of the two fires -- one inside and one outside.
CABIN UPDATE: The Upper Cabin has ben outfitted with TWO NEW FULL BATHROOMS plus a changing area with two additional sinks. Much more pleasing than the one dank one they had before.
There are many trails for hiking that begin close to Graves Lodge. There is a nature trail by the Ridgecrest Motel, and there are several trails that are part of the Shenandoah National Park system.
Old Rag Mountain trail (fee charged) climbs up to 3,291 feet, and the park signs say the shortest distance to the summit is 5-6 hours, though it can be done faster.
Other hikes include: White Oak Canyon (fee charged), Rose River Trail, and Rapidan River / Hoover Camp.
Not an official activity, not an actual dam. This involves hopping in the creek and building up a pile of rocks so we can walk across the creek in summertime.
You can also go fishing if you have a license, as the nearby stream and pond is stocked with trout.
Arrange through the lodge to go on a short or long ride.
When you go riding, be sure to say hi to the farm animals.
Other-- Inquire at the lodge to see if any special events are happening.
- Pros:Remote, tranquil, back to basics
- Cons:Creepy crawlies, beware of poison ivy
- In a nutshell:Feel like you are camping without having to live in a tent
I've hidden a Geocache in Syria. Find it at http://www.geocaching.com. It is called "The Murder Cabin" - The log book is... more travel advice
Enjoy nature. Hike. Ride Horses. RELAX. Basking in front of the fire. more travel advice
Alisonchilla's Related Pages
Syria Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Syria
- 4 Reviews
- 10 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (8)
Have you been to Syria?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Syria
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nashua Intro, 20 reviews, 14 photos
- Isla Cozumel Intro, 19 reviews, 11 photos, 1 travelogue
- Lonaconing Intro, 12 reviews, 10 photos
- Cusco Intro, 8 reviews, 12 photos, 1 travelogue
- Syria Intro, 4 reviews, 10 photos, 1 travelogue
- Washington D.C. Intro, 1 review, 8 photos, 1 travelogue
- Rurrenabaque Intro, 1 review, 8 photos, 1 travelogue
- Pucón Intro, 2 reviews, 5 photos, 1 travelogue
- Grand Bahama Island 1 review, 5 photos
- Sucre Intro, 2 reviews, 2 photos