"Barrie and Simcoe County off the beaten path" Top 5 Page for this destination Barrie by Faiza-Ifrah
Barrie Travel Guide: 115 reviews and 256 photos
Barrie, located about 1 hr drive north of Toronto / Mississauga (100 Kms), is the capital of Ontario's touristic cottage country and is the major city of Simcoe county. Other touristic destinations in this county are the cities of Collingwood, Midland, Orillia, and Georgian Bay, lake Simcoe, and Wasaga Beach.
Within the county, we have been cruising and picnicing in Kempenfelt Bay in Barrie, Southern shores of Georgian Bay, Horseshoe Valley, Lake Simcoe, and the cities of Tottenham, Orillia, and Lagoon City.
Orillia, Brechin and Lagoon City are located on the east side of Lake Simcoe.
Casino Rama is a mojor attraction of Orillia with all its income going towards upliftment of the First Nation People. Of course, this means that Orillia is located close to the First Nation Lands. First Nation terminology, art and craft, and other characteristics are conspicuous everywhere.
In order to reach Orillia from Mississauga, we took Highway 401 East to Highway 400 North (to Barrie and from there) to Highway 11 to Highway 12 North taking us into the downtown. Highway 11 is quite scenic with forests and wildlife farms along the entire length.
We visited Lagoon City, which turned out to be about 300 Kms northwest of Toronto, in the 3rd week of October 2006. This is a 1600-acre community with 8 kms of navigable waterways and few steps away from the beaches of the eastern shore of Lake Simcoe.
It is cottage and retirement community. The whole city is built over canalways. And that is what we enjoyed - boating, especially paddleboating for a change.
From Orillia, we took Highway 12 South taking us all the way to Brechin and to Lagoon City.
- Pros:Close to Toronto, beautiful summers and falls, all season activites
- Cons:Highway 400 is a nightmare, especially on weekends
- In a nutshell:Simcoe County offer all season activites
We did lots of hiking and trekking in the Valley. The valley is home to many resorts, several golf courses, lakes,... more travel advice
So one day we drove from Lagoon City back to Orillia and explored the city. The first destination was Couchiching Beach... more travel advice
Faiza-Ifrah's Related Pages
Barrie Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Barrie... close enough to it all"
- "Barrie and Simcoe County off the beaten path"
- "The Beautiful City of Barrie"
- "My Old Stomping Ground"
- "Welcome to Barrie"
- "Merrie Barrie"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Barrie
- Hotels in Barrie
- Nightlife in Barrie
- Restaurants in Barrie
- Shopping in Barrie
- Warnings and Dangers in Barrie
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Barrie
- 18 Reviews
- 20 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (22)
Have you been to Barrie?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Barrie
Photos in BarrieSee All Photos (20)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mississauga Intro, 54 reviews, 165 photos, 4 travelogues
- Toronto Intro, 35 reviews, 129 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Boone Intro, 32 reviews, 103 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hamilton Intro, 20 reviews, 90 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Massachusetts Intro, 22 reviews, 86 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pakistan Intro, 29 reviews, 76 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of Ontario Intro, 24 reviews, 61 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Illinois Intro, 28 reviews, 56 photos, 1 travelogue
- Malaysia Intro, 27 reviews, 51 photos, 4 travelogues
- Florida Intro, 21 reviews, 52 photos, 3 travelogues