"Gravenhurst and Muskoka - Lakes and Forests" Gravenhurst by Faiza-Ifrah
Gravenhurst Travel Guide: 23 reviews and 53 photos
The District Municipality of Muskoka, more generally referred to as the District of Muskoka, or simply Muskoka, extends from Georgian Bay in the west, to the northern tip of Lake Couchiching in the south, to the western border of Algonquin Provincial Park in the east. The District is located approximately two hours drive north of Toronto and about 30 minutes drive north of Barrie. Muskoka spans 6,475 km² (2,500 square miles).
The District is a scenic area having some 1,600 lakes.
The name of the municipality derives from a First Nations chief of the 1850s. Lake Muskoka was then the hunting grounds of a band led by Chief Yellowhead or Mesqua Ukie. He was revered by the government, who built a home for him in Orillia where he lived until his death at the age of 95.
There are six municipalities in Muskoka: the towns of Bracebridge (capital), Gravenhurst, and Huntsville; and the townships of Georgian Bay, Lake of Bays, and Muskoka Lakes. The Wahta Mohawk Territory and Moose Point 79 are also in the district.
In addition to its lakes and lakeside cottages, vacation hotels and resorts, Muskoka region is known for its picturesque villages and towns, farming communities, golf courses, country clubs, and marinas. Many summer camps are located in the region, to take advantage of the lakes, which offer opportunities for canoeing, sailing, windsurfing, kayaking, waterskiing, and other water activities.
This region, which, along with Haliburton and Kawartha Lakes, is referred to as "cottage country" hosts over 2.1 million visitors annually.
- Pros:Water based activities, cruises, Fall colours, a national park
- Cons:Traffic jams on Highway 400
- In a nutshell:Ontario's capital of water based tourism
THE FASHION CLOSET & CONSIGNMENTS: Fashion conscious Muskoka women have shopped at this interesting new and consignment... more travel advice
I would like to alert tourists to five situations, although I think even these can add to the enjoyment and fun... more travel advice
Faiza-Ifrah's Related Pages
Gravenhurst Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Gravenhurst and Muskoka - Lakes and Forests"
- "Home Away From Home"
- "ZChris' Gravenhurst"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Gravenhurst
- Hotels in Gravenhurst
- Shopping in Gravenhurst
- Warnings and Dangers in Gravenhurst
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Gravenhurst
- 10 Reviews
- 28 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (20)
Have you been to Gravenhurst?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Gravenhurst
Photos in GravenhurstSee All Photos (28)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mississauga Intro, 54 reviews, 165 photos, 4 travelogues
- Toronto Intro, 35 reviews, 129 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Boone Intro, 32 reviews, 103 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hamilton Intro, 20 reviews, 90 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Massachusetts Intro, 22 reviews, 86 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pakistan Intro, 29 reviews, 76 photos, 5 travelogues
- Province of Ontario Intro, 24 reviews, 61 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Illinois Intro, 28 reviews, 56 photos, 1 travelogue
- Malaysia Intro, 27 reviews, 51 photos, 4 travelogues
- Florida Intro, 21 reviews, 52 photos, 3 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (90)
Latest Gravenhurst hotel reviews
- Taboo Resort Golf And Conferenc
- 194 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 25, 2013