"Faiza & Ifrah's Sudbury off the beaten path" Top 5 Page for this destination Sudbury by Faiza-Ifrah
Sudbury Travel Guide: 51 reviews and 129 photos
We, 3 familes having 14 members in all, drove for 6-7 hours to the city of Lively in late May 2005 (on Victoria Day) for exploring the less crowded lakes of Ontario.
The city of Lively lies some 30 kms west of Sudbury.
The drive from Toronto to Barrie was slow as there were major traffic jams. However, beyond Barrie, Highway 400 to Parry Sound became a nice scenic drive. The Highway soon becomes Trans-Canada Provincial Route 69. We loved every km of it.
Our main thrill came from driving in the territory of the First Nations (Indians) with many of their cultural symbols greeting us.
With a geographic area of 3,627 square kilometers, the City of Greater Sudbury, is the largest municipality in Ontario based on land mass. It is home to 330 lakes, is locally known as the City of Lakes, and contains more lakes than any other municipality in Canada.
Some facts about greater Sudbury area:
• 330 lakes over 10 hectares in size are within city limits.
• 112 lakes over 100 hectares in size.
• 16.5% (or 601 square kilometers) of the City's total surface area is covered by lake water.
• 12.2% of the City consists of lakes rivers and creeks.
• 4.3% of the City consists of wetlands.
• Lake Wanapitei is the largest city-contained lake in the world at 13,257 hectares, which represents 1/3 of the total lake area.
• In 2003, there were 31 lake stewardship groups in Greater Sudbury.
• In 2003, approximately 7,000 people or 4% of the population lived on a lake.
• City of Greater Sudbury is divided into two main watersheds: the French River Watershed (to the east) drains the Wanapitei River, French River and flows into Georgian Bay and the Spanish River Watershed (to the west) drains the Vermilion River, Spanish River and flows into Lake Huron.
• Within these two watersheds there are 25 sub-watershed units.
- Pros:Pristine land, forests and lakes. All season destination. Less crowded on holidays
- Cons:Too far way from Greater Toronto Area.
- In a nutshell:Worth a long weekend trip to escape crowd.
Within the Ramsey lake park, we discovered a sculpture paying homage to the mine workers of Sudbury. Caste in metal, it... more travel advice
We found Simon Lake to be safe for children as there was a play area for them and the lake waters were shallow so they... more travel advice
Faiza-Ifrah's Related Pages
Sudbury Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Faiza & Ifrah's Sudbury off the beaten path"
- "Sudbury is Fun ... yeah"
- "Sudbury Ontario"
- "Medal-Winning Sudbury!"
- "ClarindaPace's new Sudbury Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Sudbury
- Hotels in Sudbury
- Transportation in Sudbury
- Nightlife in Sudbury
- Restaurants in Sudbury
- Warnings and Dangers in Sudbury
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Sudbury
- 10 Reviews
- 13 Photos
- 3 Forum posts
- 9 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (20)
Have you been to Sudbury?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Sudbury
- Posted in Travel Montreal Forum "Re: Montreal in March"
- Uploaded a Photo to "A motel in Lively for all seasons."
- Wrote a Review A memorial for the roots of Sudbury in Sudbury Things to Do
- updated a Sudbury Travel Page "Faiza & Ifrah's Sudbury off the beaten path"
- Commented on one of Simonneeddy's Sudbury travel pages
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mississauga Intro, 54 reviews, 165 photos, 4 travelogues
- Toronto Intro, 35 reviews, 129 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Boone Intro, 32 reviews, 103 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hamilton Intro, 20 reviews, 90 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Massachusetts Intro, 22 reviews, 86 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pakistan Intro, 29 reviews, 76 photos, 5 travelogues
- Province of Ontario Intro, 24 reviews, 61 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Illinois Intro, 28 reviews, 56 photos, 1 travelogue
- Malaysia Intro, 27 reviews, 51 photos, 4 travelogues
- Florida Intro, 21 reviews, 52 photos, 3 travelogues