"From Tobermory to Fathom Five National Marine Park" Top 5 Page for this destination Tobermory by Faiza-Ifrah
Tobermory Travel Guide: 114 reviews and 280 photos
Our interest in hiking and boating took us to the sparkling clean waters at the mouth of Georgian Bay, which is home to Fathom Five - Canada's first National Marine Conservation Area. The park preserves a rich cultural legacy that includes 22 shipwrecks and several historic lightstations. Highlights of the park include one of the most pristine waters in the great lakes, oldest shipwreck (150 years old) found here, and an 1,860 year old eastern white cedar discovered on Flowerpot Island’s ancient cliffs.
Fathom Five National Marine Park is a part of a much larger ecosystem, with Niagara Escarpment (a World Biosphere Reserve) as a backbone. Our forays into other conservation parks under Niagara Escarpment are covered under other Ontario Destinations.
Since the national park is located in close proximity to densely populated Southern Ontario, it is very popular with the tourists who are attracted to its crystal clear waters, rugged scenery and Georgian Bay shoreline.
The park supports unique geological features of Alvars and eroded rocks in the strangest of shapes.
That many of the cliff hanging white cedars are over 500 years old was not known until 1980s. Visitors will be amazed at the strange twisted and U shaped cedars trying to support themselves on bare rocks facing severest of elements like wave impact and weight of heavy frozen snow during winters.
- Pros:Multitude of water sports, easily visited, good for photography
- Cons:Weather - thunderstorms, winds, chilly waters
- In a nutshell:Unique geology and ecology
The lady and the gentleman in the pictures are invited by the Visitor Centre to work on their artifacts at the Centre so... more travel advice
We liked the ambience of this restaurant and the deal - eat as much fish as you can in one particular offer. Rest... more travel advice
Faiza-Ifrah's Related Pages
Tobermory Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Beautiful Bruce Peninsula"
- "From Tobermory to Fathom Five National Marine Park"
- "Back to the Bruce, eh?"
- "The Bruce Peninsula"
- "Tobermory at the top of the Bruce Pennisula"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Tobermory
- Hotels in Tobermory
- Transportation in Tobermory
- Nightlife in Tobermory
- Restaurants in Tobermory
- Shopping in Tobermory
- Warnings and Dangers in Tobermory
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Tobermory
- 16 Reviews
- 32 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (20)
Have you been to Tobermory?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Tobermory
- Posted in Travel Montreal Forum "Re: Montreal in March"
- updated a Tobermory Travel Page "From Tobermory to Fathom Five National Marine Park"
- Uploaded a Photo to "From Tobermory to Fathom Five National Marine Park"
- Wrote a Review Shopping for Ist Nation and Mennonites work in Tobermory Shopping
- Commented on one of orlandom's Tobermory travel pages
Photos in TobermorySee All Photos (32)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mississauga Intro, 54 reviews, 165 photos, 4 travelogues
- Toronto Intro, 35 reviews, 129 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Boone Intro, 32 reviews, 103 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hamilton Intro, 20 reviews, 90 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Massachusetts Intro, 22 reviews, 86 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pakistan Intro, 29 reviews, 76 photos, 5 travelogues
- Province of Ontario Intro, 24 reviews, 61 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Illinois Intro, 28 reviews, 56 photos, 1 travelogue
- Malaysia Intro, 27 reviews, 51 photos, 4 travelogues
- Florida Intro, 21 reviews, 52 photos, 3 travelogues