"Adventures in the High Country" Top 5 Page for this destination Boone by Faiza-Ifrah
Boone Travel Guide: 100 reviews and 178 photos
Home to Appalachian State University, one of the top 15 public universities in the south, Boone benefits in the summer from the college’s dynamic student population, exciting events, state of the art performances and overall youthful energy.
The summers are cooler than at plains, yet we found them to be comfortably warmer compared to what we have back in southern Ontario. The temperatures are just perfect to explore the nature. Perhaps this is the reason why Adventure Sports Magazine recognized Boone as the ultimate outdoor adventure destination in the Southeast. And we took the benefit of many of its offerings.
While driving towards North Carolina's Appalachian mountains, we had a road accident in Virginian territory, because of which we decided to leave Great Smokey Mountains National Park out of our itinerary. However, Blue Ridge Parkway filled in the slot perfectly well. We drove and hiked on and along the Parkway for 80 miles stretch between mile post 242 and 323 that runs close by Boone (covered in off the beaten path tips). We canoed and kayaked on the New River, which is the 2nd oldest river of the world. We observed wildlife on Grandfather Mountain and elsewhere in a very unusual non captive setting. The whole journey to NC and back made us record 3095 Kms of travelling distance.
In the picture here, my children and I are sitting with a couple, who we befriended, on the farthest overlook at Erwins View Trail, with Linville Falls in the far background near Mile Post 316.4 on Blue Ridge Parkway.
I am grateful to a number of VT members for their personal advice and tips on Boone that made my family and my trip an easier and memorable one. The advice from the following VTers made my trip possible: Donna_in_India, TimDaoust, deecat, Jim_Eliason, toonsarah, Beausoleil, counsel14, and neverstoptravel. I apologize if I have forgotten any names here.
To quote some concepts from Dr. Charles Alan Watkins “the Appalachian Paradigm”, it is “the land that time forgot”, “poor but happy mountaineers”, “the romance of log-cabin living”, “a one class society”, and “craft work for spiritual uplift”.
In the picture here is a view of the historic Squire Boone Cabin at Daniel Boone Native Gardens. The accommodations that we had booked also turned out to be log cabin that we enjoyed very much.
From the eclectic shops in the downtown Boone to Highway 321 / 221 going south towards Blowing Rock from Boone, shopping in the High Country is a passion. One can spend a few hours or, like we did, dedicate a full day exploring specialty shops and designer-brand outlets not only in Boone, but also in unique communities of Valle Crucis, Blowing Rock, Banner Elk, Todd, etc.
The picture shows a view of Tanger Shoppes on the Parkway, an outlet Mall.
- Pros:Great natural, cultural, historic and archeological heritage
- Cons:Boone is touristy and can get crowded with vehicles
- In a nutshell:All season destination
Grandfather Mountain is proven most popular tourist attraction of North Carolina and when we explored it we could see... more travel advice
Our 2nd stop in the Grandfather Mountain was at Wildlife Habitats and the Nature Museum. These are two great places to... more travel advice
Faiza-Ifrah's Related Pages
Boone Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Adventures in the High Country"
- "The High Country!"
- "Home of the High Country"
- "Boone, NC"
- "Boone NC"
- "Boone, NC"
- "Boone is Beautiful!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Boone
- Hotels in Boone
- Transportation in Boone
- Nightlife in Boone
- Restaurants in Boone
- Shopping in Boone
- Warnings and Dangers in Boone
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Boone
- 32 Reviews
- 103 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 12 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (21)
Have you been to Boone?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Boone
Photos in BooneSee All Photos (103)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mississauga Intro, 54 reviews, 165 photos, 4 travelogues
- Toronto Intro, 35 reviews, 129 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Boone Intro, 32 reviews, 103 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hamilton Intro, 20 reviews, 90 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Massachusetts Intro, 22 reviews, 86 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pakistan Intro, 29 reviews, 76 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of Ontario Intro, 24 reviews, 61 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Illinois Intro, 28 reviews, 56 photos, 1 travelogue
- Malaysia Intro, 27 reviews, 51 photos, 4 travelogues
- Florida Intro, 21 reviews, 52 photos, 3 travelogues