"Adventures in the High Country" Top 5 Page for this destination Boone by Faiza-Ifrah

Boone Travel Guide: 99 reviews and 178 photos

It is a haven for outdoorsy traveller

Home to Appalachian State University, one of the top 15 public universities in the south, Boone benefits in the summer from the college’s dynamic student population, exciting events, state of the art performances and overall youthful energy.

The summers are cooler than at plains, yet we found them to be comfortably warmer compared to what we have back in southern Ontario. The temperatures are just perfect to explore the nature. Perhaps this is the reason why Adventure Sports Magazine recognized Boone as the ultimate outdoor adventure destination in the Southeast. And we took the benefit of many of its offerings.

While driving towards North Carolina's Appalachian mountains, we had a road accident in Virginian territory, because of which we decided to leave Great Smokey Mountains National Park out of our itinerary. However, Blue Ridge Parkway filled in the slot perfectly well. We drove and hiked on and along the Parkway for 80 miles stretch between mile post 242 and 323 that runs close by Boone (covered in off the beaten path tips). We canoed and kayaked on the New River, which is the 2nd oldest river of the world. We observed wildlife on Grandfather Mountain and elsewhere in a very unusual non captive setting. The whole journey to NC and back made us record 3095 Kms of travelling distance.

In the picture here, my children and I are sitting with a couple, who we befriended, on the farthest overlook at Erwins View Trail, with Linville Falls in the far background near Mile Post 316.4 on Blue Ridge Parkway.

I am grateful to a number of VT members for their personal advice and tips on Boone that made my family and my trip an easier and memorable one. The advice from the following VTers made my trip possible: Donna_in_India, TimDaoust, deecat, Jim_Eliason, toonsarah, Beausoleil, counsel14, and neverstoptravel. I apologize if I have forgotten any names here.

It is about High Country history and culture

To quote some concepts from Dr. Charles Alan Watkins “the Appalachian Paradigm”, it is “the land that time forgot”, “poor but happy mountaineers”, “the romance of log-cabin living”, “a one class society”, and “craft work for spiritual uplift”.

In the picture here is a view of the historic Squire Boone Cabin at Daniel Boone Native Gardens. The accommodations that we had booked also turned out to be log cabin that we enjoyed very much.

It is about shopping

From the eclectic shops in the downtown Boone to Highway 321 / 221 going south towards Blowing Rock from Boone, shopping in the High Country is a passion. One can spend a few hours or, like we did, dedicate a full day exploring specialty shops and designer-brand outlets not only in Boone, but also in unique communities of Valle Crucis, Blowing Rock, Banner Elk, Todd, etc.

The picture shows a view of Tanger Shoppes on the Parkway, an outlet Mall.

• Pros:Great natural, cultural, historic and archeological heritage
  • Cons:Boone is touristy and can get crowded with vehicles
  • In a nutshell:All season destination
  • Last visit to Boone: Aug 2009
  • Intro Updated Oct 10, 2009

• Florida999's Profile Photo
    Feb 22, 2011 at 4:29 AM

Linville Falls!! Lol, been there too!! Thanks for checking out my pages, love your's too!! We seem to like the same sort of trips:)

• aussirose's Profile Photo
    Jul 10, 2010 at 4:46 PM

Wow!! You guys did everything!! What a fantastic holiday Faiza! :o) I enjoyed the read. Beautiful photos of the swinging bridge area!! :o) Cheers, Ann.

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Mar 28, 2010 at 10:54 AM

It looks like you enjoyed a lot in the mountains and had some adventures. You do a good job of pictures taking and comments to explain the sites. Long ago I helped manage Boone & Grandfather Mtn for a bank that owned the land. Wonderful place

• dr.firas's Profile Photo
    Dec 20, 2009 at 5:47 AM

This is so wonderful Faiza dear, thanks for sharing, would love and come to visit you some day all the best for you and the family with a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year :-)

• goutammitra's Profile Photo
    Nov 30, 2009 at 5:37 PM

Where are the new & updated tips on Boone?

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Nov 25, 2009 at 7:01 PM

Wow, what an adventure you had here! Plenty to keep you busy, and lots of wildlife to see, good accommodations made it an excellent trip by the sound of it!

• Donna_in_India's Profile Photo
    Oct 30, 2009 at 7:34 AM

Hi Faiza - finally got to visit your Boone page. Great job! Was hoping to get back for Christmas but doesn't look like we'll get back until Jan/Feb. Hope all is well.

• glabah's Profile Photo
    Sep 14, 2009 at 3:54 PM

Many years ago, I took the more adventurous way: The New River Gorge White Water Raft Trip. That was maybe 1983? So many things in this one place.

• hopang's Profile Photo
    Sep 13, 2009 at 9:38 AM

Superb Boone travel page with excellent travel tips. Grandfather Mountain especially the swinging bridge, Blue Ridge Parkway and the Mystery Hill certainly look wonderful and interesting to visit and explore. Thanks for sharing. ~ho & pang

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Sep 7, 2009 at 6:35 PM

this is truly magnificent! Your intro is excellent. Your photos are brilliant and personable. What a truly beautiful family you have. Great cabin. Sorry about the accident, but I'm glad no one was injured. Thanks for sharing this beautiful vacation.

Faiza-Ifrah

“"Time is short and the water rises" - John Walsh”

Badges & Stats in Boone