"VIRGINIA's northwestern region off the beaten path" Top 5 Page for this destination Virginia by Faiza-Ifrah
Virginia Travel Guide: 7,519 reviews and 17,873 photos
The summer started for us with a 12 days of travel madness in July 2008.
It all started with arrival of relatives from Qatar and New Jersey and with a seemingly innocent trip to Niagara Falls on July 1. Then we travelled together to New Jersey, taking US routes and future interstates, passing through small towns and hamlets of western New York. A day was spent in Manhattan, New York. Then we drove onwards to our scheduled trip to Shenandoah National Park in Virginia. A day in between (July 9) was spent exploring many attractions of nearby Washington DC.
We stretched ourselves to the limit, a total of 3029 kms travelled on road besides 2 days of hiking and trekking in Shenandoah National Park in over 90 degree F heat, coming face to face with a young black bear. We came back totally exhausted, but missed the trip badly.
I am grateful to a number of VT members for their personal advice and tips on Shenandoah National Park that made my family and my trip an easier and memorable one. The advice from the following VTers made my trip possible: cachaseiro, mikelisaanna, jethanand, DonnaFL, gamma28md, Hopkid, Fullmoonfever (my friend Glen), Seagoliliy, Tom_Fields, and PinkFloydActuary. I apologize if I have forgotten any names here.
There are 5 activities that can be done at this one of the easier accessible and travelled national parks of the world. These are (1) Driving on the Skyline Drive, (2) Hiking and trekking on many trails including Appalachian Trails, (3) Camping, (4) Observing flora and fauna, and (5) shopping for souvenirs. Except for camping, we ‘indulged’ in all the activities.
The fee for the National Park is very reasonable at $15 for a pass per non-commercial vehicle allowing 7 days of entrance and exits.
The main picture above shows a waterfall that we reached by trekking down from the Skyline Drive in Shenandoah National Park. Within minutes this waterfall was full of excited hikers and trekkers.
We made our home in Massanutten Mountain by staying in a resort.
Wikipedia states that "Massanutten Mountain is a synclinal ridge in the Ridge-and-Valley Appalachians, located in the U.S. state of Virginia. The mountain bisects the Shenandoah Valley just west of Strasburg in Shenandoah County in the north, to its highest peak west of Harrisonburg in Rockingham County in the south. The mountain is divided into northern and southern sections, divided by the New Market Gap. The southern section consists of a series of closely gathered ridges, separated by precipitous creek gorges.
The mountain is full of activities - chairlifts, golf courses, horseback riding, mountain biking, skating, water park, tubing, swimming pools, wildlife observation, canoing, kayaking, rafting, go carting, fishing, skiing and cross country skiing - you name it they have it there.
Besides, Shenandoah National Park, many caverns, historic towns, and civil war battlegrounds are easily accessible from here.
Virginia's northwest is the home of historic towns of Front Royal, New Market, Harrisonburg, Elkton, etc., each meriting a day of exploration.
Shenandoah Caverns, Luray Caverns and Grand Caverns are also located in this region.
Besides, there are 3 civil war battlefields in this region.
- Pros:Multi-activity 4 season region, excellent for historic, cultural, and nature tourism.
- Cons:The region can get hot, hazy and humid. Thunderstorms are common.
- In a nutshell:Virginia's northwest is certainly a place to visit again and again
We stayed in Woodstone Resort. The resort apartment given to us had a master bedroom with attached bath, another... more travel advice
There are a number of hiking trails of various levels of difficulty throughout the Shenandoah National Park. There are... more travel advice
Faiza-Ifrah's Related Pages
Virginia Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "b1bob personally carries you back to Ol' Virginny"
- "Virginia is for lovers!"
- "VIRGINIA's northwestern region off the beaten path"
- "Welcome to VIRGINA"
- "The Ole Dominion"
- "Welcome to our Virginia page!"
- "Coming Home"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Virginia
- Hotels in Virginia
- Transportation in Virginia
- Nightlife in Virginia
- Restaurants in Virginia
- Shopping in Virginia
- Warnings and Dangers in Virginia
- See All...
Explore the World
- Christian Island Hotels
- Washington State
- Dandong Hotels
- Magnetic Island
- Kampung Tekek Hotels
- Laguna Cajititlán Hotels
- Kota Kinabalu
- San Francisco del Monte Hotels
- Morro Bay
- Mexico City
- Calapan Hotels
Badges & Stats in Virginia
- 21 Reviews
- 52 Photos
- 6 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (20)
Have you been to Virginia?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Virginia
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mississauga Intro, 54 reviews, 165 photos, 4 travelogues
- Toronto Intro, 35 reviews, 129 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Boone Intro, 32 reviews, 103 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hamilton Intro, 20 reviews, 90 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Massachusetts Intro, 22 reviews, 86 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pakistan Intro, 29 reviews, 76 photos, 5 travelogues
- Province of Ontario Intro, 24 reviews, 61 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Illinois Intro, 28 reviews, 56 photos, 1 travelogue
- Malaysia Intro, 27 reviews, 51 photos, 4 travelogues
- Florida Intro, 21 reviews, 52 photos, 3 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (90)
Top Virginia hotels
- Virginia Beach Hotels
- 362 Reviews - 504 Photos
- Williamsburg Hotels
- 772 Reviews - 1255 Photos
- Richmond Hotels
- 842 Reviews - 1308 Photos
- Blacksburg Hotels
- 63 Reviews - 88 Photos
- Norfolk Hotels
- 92 Reviews - 350 Photos
- Harrisonburg Hotels
- 15 Reviews - 20 Photos
- Alexandria Hotels
- 461 Reviews - 1504 Photos
- Abingdon Hotels
- 5 Reviews - 12 Photos
- Arlington Hotels
- 481 Reviews - 1152 Photos
- Roanoke Hotels
- 104 Reviews - 119 Photos
- Shenandoah National Park Hotels
- 163 Reviews - 534 Photos
- South Boston Hotels
- 36 Reviews - 69 Photos
- McLean Hotels
- 4 Reviews - 11 Photos
- Lynchburg Hotels
- 17 Reviews - 32 Photos
- Hillsville Hotels
- 5 Reviews - 4 Photos