"Berkshires and Lowell off the beaten path" Top 5 Page for this destination Massachusetts by Faiza-Ifrah

Massachusetts Travel Guide: 7,408 reviews and 16,827 photos

History at Berkshires

We had a 10 days vacations in Berkshire County (or Berkshires) and Lowell in Massachusettes, USA.

We stretched ourselves to the limit, a total of 2132 kms travelled on road besides many days of hiking and trekking in various state parks in thunderstorms, coming face to face with lightening strike on mountain top.

The county of Berkshires offers nature, history and culture at its best. The county is located in the Appalachian Mountain chain. Many famous people and group of people called it their home in the days gone by. Experiencing their ways of living was the best learning that we had.

Unfortunately, I was not able to find much information on Berkshires and Lowell on the VT. However, I am grateful to my friend Micheal (VT name: nomorewars) for his personal advice and tips on Lowell that made our trip to that city an easier and memorable one, although in a different way. I would also like to thank VTer and friend Dee (VT name: deecat) for building beautiful pages on Massachusetts that encouraged me and my family to head for this state.

The picture shows a statue of Abraham Lincoln at the Chesterwood Estate and Museum or simply Chesterwood. Chesterwood is the country home and studio of Daniel Chester French (1850-1931), who was the creator of the great sculpture of Abraham Lincoln that is placed in the Lincoln Memorial in Washington D.C.

Nature at Berkshires

Since Berkshires is located in the Appalachian Mountain chain, it is endowed with great natural touristic resources. This territory is defined as the Tectonic Range, which separates Massachsetts and New York State. This ecoregion has a mix of northern hardwood and spruce-fir forests with fast moving mountain streams and a relatively cool climate.

The Massachusetts State Park system includes many properties in this region. All are rich in recreational opportunities, scenic views, size, ecology, history and habitat.

The picture below shows a list of all the wildlife that one will find in Pleasant Valley Wildlife Sanctuary.

Culture at Berkshire

You can visit urban cultural centres or journey to a countryside resort, but nowhere else will you find Berkshire County's collection of world-class cultural attractions in a single spectacular rural setting.

Art, theater, dance music, film, gardens - you name it, Berkshires has it. Do visit some of the best cultural destinations with us.

• Pros:Easy driving, not overly populated, lots of museums and state parks, beautiful architecture
  • Cons:None
  • In a nutshell:One of the best places for natural, historical, architectural and cultural tourism
  • Last visit to Massachusetts: Aug 2008
  • Intro Updated Mar 4, 2009

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Jan 16, 2010 at 11:07 PM

Faiza, this are amazing pages about Massachusetts! Love you positive attitude regardless of the weather. Beautiful photographs...such a variety of activities. this are, indeed, 5-star tips.

• aussirose's Profile Photo
    Dec 20, 2009 at 2:36 AM

Wow I love this page Faiza!! Love the way you write mate :o) I also enjoy family holidays. Your boat, canoe and thunderstorm stories are fantastic!! What wonderful memories :o) Good stuff!! Hugs, Ann.

• nicolaitan's Profile Photo
    May 7, 2009 at 6:24 PM

nice page, nice photos - we have stayed in lenox several times, never been much further north ( 3 hours of hard driving from home ). next time we will take advantage of your tips and visit some of the attractions. n.

• goutammitra's Profile Photo
    Feb 8, 2009 at 11:51 PM

As usual all the off the beaten path tips are excellent and I enjoyed reading. The Indian restaurant seems very good. aap Kalkatta aane par Chicken Biryani aapko bana kar khilana hoga. Hame intejar rahega.

• LoriPori's Profile Photo
    Dec 4, 2008 at 4:44 AM

You did an awesome page on Massachusetts Faiza. You and your family sure had a wonderful experience, from culture - Chesterwood - family fun - Jiminy Peak - sports - canoeing & hiking. I'm sure your children will remember this adventure for a long time

• Nov 21, 2008 at 10:16 AM

Faiza, I was eagerly awaiting the construction of this page. I am glad to say that you have not disappointed me. I hope your second trip to Lowell is occurs during some good weather.

• jumpingnorman's Profile Photo
    Nov 16, 2008 at 10:41 PM

What a well-written tip on Chesterwood...I will have to visit Massachusetts someday -- did I even spell that right???

• SLLiew's Profile Photo
    Nov 11, 2008 at 4:43 PM

I expected Boston when I clicked on ur MA page. What a pleasant surprise of a small town with so much to see and do. Cheers, SL :)

• besal's Profile Photo
    Oct 25, 2008 at 2:14 AM

Great tips and photos!

• cachaseiro's Profile Photo
    Oct 23, 2008 at 12:28 AM

nice page faiza. it´s always nice to see your pages with your family travels.

Faiza-Ifrah

“"Time is short and the water rises" - John Walsh”

Badges & Stats in Massachusetts

Have you been to Massachusetts?