"Faiza-Ifrah's Illinois off the beaten path." Top 5 Page for this destination Illinois by Faiza-Ifrah

Illinois Travel Guide: 8,151 reviews and 17,346 photos

Chicago - feels like home away from home

Northeastern Illinois or rather Chicagoland with Cook county as the base is what I am going to cover here. This region gives us a feeling of a home away from home. I have lived here up until 1987 going to college. My husband attended university here. Afterwards, at one time, we were here almost every 6 months. My brother's family lives here. My nephew and niece were born, grown up here and married here. It is but natural that I have certain level of affection for this region.

The task of building a page on Illinois is daunting. First, it is a vast state and is impossible to cover in its entirety. Second, although I disagree with it, many people believe it is a boring state. Third, there is a problem for me as I want to build my pages on things that others have not covered in detail in their pages. So I said to myself where can I concentrate on Illinois. I had a look at top 5 Illinois pages. Deecat (Dee) is anchored on Southern Illinois, traveldave (dave) has focused on Chicago, and dlandt (Dave) has focused on history and state parks in the south and west. So I went for my forte i.e. Chicago, Cook County and Chicagoland i.e. 6 - county metro area of northeastern Illinois.

I hope to be different. I am sure I will be different in one aspect - shopping :-)

Tourist attraction of Chicagoland

These pages are dedicated to Abraham Lincoln, or Honest Abe as he is affectionately known. Produced below are two of my favorites quotes :

"Let us have faith that right makes might; and in that faith let us dare to do our duty as we understand it."
Address, New York City, Feb. 21, 1859.

"With malice towards none, with charity for all, with firmness in the right, as God gives us to see the right."
Second Inaugural Address, March 4, 1865.

Shopping in Chicagoland

The entire Magnificient Mile of the Michigan Avenue in Chicago, and Lincolnwood Mall, Woodfield Mall, and Brookfield Mall in Cook County outside of Chicago, all offer best shopping for designer items, as well as local antiques and handicrafts.

Shopping everywhere is fun and during our stay in Chicagoland, very few shops escape our attention - guaranteed :-)

• Pros:Urban and pastoral touch, many attractions within Chicagoland, Milwaukee round the corner.
  • Cons:Only 8 miles of waterways are public, rest are private, no 4 wheeling tracks
  • In a nutshell:Many touristy spots, many high standard universities, many mega-shopping malls.
  • Last visit to Illinois: Mar 2007
  • Intro Updated Nov 18, 2007

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Oct 27, 2010 at 11:28 AM

Your all certaihnly have a lot of "roots" up that way. I lived in Elgin first 30 years, and in town for 3 more. Lived on Lake Shore at Evanston. It was nice, and you showed many sites we missed on trip back there in April. Thanks for the tour.

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Jun 2, 2010 at 6:41 PM

Lovely page! Like you, I think the Beluga's are gorgeous saw them at Vancouver Aquarium, and the Otters are cute too! We have something similar at Coonabarabran with the weights of the different planets.

• goutammitra's Profile Photo
    Feb 23, 2010 at 6:29 PM

Revisiting was a pleasure! Great job.

• glabah's Profile Photo
    Dec 10, 2009 at 7:21 AM

Great introduction to Illinois. Some day, it might be interesting for you to visit the Illinois Railway Museum. I've heard they are much better than they were in the 1980s.

• freddie18's Profile Photo
    Dec 13, 2008 at 7:22 PM

Excellent information about Illinois! Chicago is definitely included on my plan of exploring states of America. Thanks for sharing Faiza.

• PinkFloydActuary's Profile Photo
    Jan 24, 2008 at 5:08 AM

Good stuff (as always!) Enjoy Shenandoah - I hope the weather cooperates :)

• SLLiew's Profile Photo
    Jan 17, 2008 at 10:14 AM

Excellent tips of Illinois. I was there twice in winter, great museums and restaurants but missed the zoos that you have described so well. Cheers, SL :)

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Dec 20, 2007 at 7:12 AM

Nice tips! We used to go camping at Apple River Canyon State Park when I was in high school (I lived in Evanston).

• jelw's Profile Photo
    Nov 25, 2007 at 5:35 AM

Good tips on outlying destinations. Thank you!

• ant1606's Profile Photo
    Nov 3, 2007 at 2:40 AM

Thanks for comments and for your interesting and considerate pages! Ciao!

Faiza-Ifrah Used To Live Here!

Faiza-Ifrah

“"Time is short and the water rises" - John Walsh”

Badges & Stats in Illinois

Have you been to Illinois?