"Bruce Peninsula National Park" Bruce Peninsula National Park by Faiza-Ifrah
Bruce Peninsula National Park Travel Guide: 20 reviews and 41 photos
It was in early 2009 when a visitor to VT asked a question on VT Travel Forum regarding long-distance hiking that he could do in various national parks of Canada. I had advised that the national parks in Ontario at least should be out of his scope, because they are too small to cater to his taste for long distance adventure hiking. I was guilty at my response though. I discussed it with other family members and we all agreed that we should hike through some national parks of Ontario to see what unique geological and biological features they have and whether adventure hikers would enjoy hiking through them. Since Bruce Peninsula National Park happens to be closest to us in Southern Ontario, it was natural that we would start from this park.
Bruce Peninsula National Park is a part of a much larger ecosystem, with Niagara Escarpment (a World Biosphere Reserve) as a backbone. Our forays into other conservation parks under Niagara Escarpment are covered under other Ontario Destinations.
The national park is located in close proximity to densely populated Southern Ontario and is therefore, very popular with the tourists who are attracted to its rugged scenery and Georgian Bay shoreline.
The Park can be reached by taking north exit of Hurontario Street (Highway 10) of Mississauga from Highway 401. Continue till Highway 10 north joins Highway 6 north (coming from Guelph) at Owen Sound. Follow Highway 6 north past Owen Sound and Wiarton (a town at the base of Bruce Peninsula) all the way to the picturesque Tobermory, which is the last town on Bruce Peninsula with a population of 4,200.
A section of the 782 km-long famous Bruce Trail runs through the national park. Since it offered varying degree of difficulty all along the shoreline, we decided to hike on it starting from High Dump in the west to Overhanging Point in the east. Inclusive of access trails through the dense forests, this meant a total of 25 km, but certainly felt like much more than that due to several stretches where the trail went over cobbled beaches (see picture).
The plan was to first of all visit the Registration Centre, buy tickets, and get as much information as possible. Then hike in sections from landmark to landmark as follows:
1. From Cyprus Lake Parking Lot and Registration Office towards north to Halfway Rock Point by the Georgian Bay Lakeshore = 1 km
2. From Halfway Rock Point westwards to Grotto by the lakeshore = .25 km
3. From Grotto westwards to Overhanging Point by the Lakeshore = 1 km
4. From Overhanging Point double-back to Grotto and Halfway Rock Point = 1.25 km
5. From Halfway Rock Point eastwards to Cave Point by the Lakeshore = 1 km
6. From Cave Point eastwards to High Dump by the Lakeshore = 7kms
7. From High Dump southwards to Crane Lake Parking Lot in the forest = 8 kms
- Pros:Unique geological features, close to Toronto, another national park close by
- Cons:Fickle weather of Georgian Bay
- In a nutshell:It is an adventure hiker's and conservationist's haven
Following sports activities are available: Hiking Climbing Boating / Sailing Snorkelling Kayaking / Canoeing more travel advice
If you like camping, various campgrounds are available for reservations at Cyprus Lake area. However, lover of camping... more travel advice
Faiza-Ifrah's Related Pages
Bruce Peninsula National Park Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Bruce Peninsula National Park
- Hotels in Bruce Peninsula National Park
- Transportation in Bruce Peninsula National Park
- Shopping in Bruce Peninsula National Park
- Warnings and Dangers in Bruce Peninsula National Park
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Bruce Peninsula National Park
- 20 Reviews
- 40 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 11 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (20)
Have you been to Bruce Peninsula National Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bruce Peninsula National Park
Photos in Bruce Peninsula National ParkSee All Photos (40)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mississauga Intro, 54 reviews, 165 photos, 4 travelogues
- Toronto Intro, 35 reviews, 129 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Boone Intro, 32 reviews, 103 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hamilton Intro, 20 reviews, 90 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Massachusetts Intro, 22 reviews, 86 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pakistan Intro, 29 reviews, 76 photos, 5 travelogues
- Province of Ontario Intro, 24 reviews, 61 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Illinois Intro, 28 reviews, 56 photos, 1 travelogue
- Malaysia Intro, 27 reviews, 51 photos, 4 travelogues
- Florida Intro, 21 reviews, 52 photos, 3 travelogues