"MickeyMuse's Pennsville Page" Pennsville by MickeyMuse

Pennsville Travel Guide: 18 reviews and 29 photos

Each year on my birthday, I pick somewhere local that I'd like to go and visit, this year, I picked Fort Mott, Pennsville, NJ.

I'll be scanning some pictures and adding them today of this wonderful fort. The day we went, April 3, 2002, it was bright and beautiful, but with ominous clouds off in the distance, within a half hour or so as we walked through the fort, the wind kicked up and the trees began to sway and moan, only adding to the aura of setting.
Unlike Fort Knox, which will be featured over on my Maine page, you are not able to walk through most of the fort, which is sad, but due to vandalism and the unfortunate lack of caring for history that too many people possess, they have much of the fort closed off to the public. We were told that along with vandalism the fear of tetanus exists from the many rusted railings etc. But, despite all that, it's still a wonderful place to visit.

Across from Fort Mottt is Fort Delaware on Pea Patch Island, http://civilwarstudies.org/fortdelaware/fort_delaware.htm

And down the road is the Finn's Point National Cemetery,
I'm not sure what to say about this cemetery, it was a strange place and very sad as it holds the remains of both Union and Confederate soldiers from Fort Delaware and even German soldiers who passed while being held at Fort Dix.

• Intro Written May 26, 2002

Travelogues (1)

• Sep 18, 2011 at 9:22 PM

Fort Mott was built to prevent enemy ships from attacking Philadelphia from the Delaware River. The tower pictured was a fire control tower - spotters would direct the guns where to fire from here.

MickeyMuse

“"Friends are God`s apology for relatives"”

Badges & Stats in Pennsville

Have you been to Pennsville?

Photos in Pennsville