"Nanoose Bay" Nanoose Bay by kunduz

Nanoose Bay Travel Guide: 6 reviews and 9 photos

Where I Live

My home is in Nanoose Bay, a small rural community on the east coast of Vancouver Island, in the province of British Columbia, on the west coast of Canada. The residential area of Nanoose Bay is about five kilometers east from the Island Highway (No. 19), off Northwest Bay Road, and is home to about five thousand people.
Amenties and institutions of the area include Schooner Cove Marina and Resort, Fairwinds Golf Course, Rocking Horse Pub, Red Gap Shopping Center, Nanoose Place Community Center, Nanoose Elementary School, Pacific Shores Beach Resort, Nanoose Edibles Organic Farm, Moorecroft Camp, Canadian Forces Maritime Experimental Testing Range, Esquimalt and Nanaimo Railway, and about 600 hectares of second growth coastal forest around Enos Lake (see photo) with walking trails.
Harlequin Pond is directly behind my house, and is home to a three-generation family of beaver (Castor canadensis). One of Canada's national symbols (along with the Maple Leaf), the beaver is also the source of my Virtual Tourist membername, Kunduz, which is Turkish for beaver. From my house, I can see across Georgia Strait to the Sechelt Peninsula on the mainland of British Columbia. On a clear day, I can see peaks of the Coast Mountains, including Mount Garabaldi (2974 meters). As the sun sets I frequently spot cruise liners on their way from Vancouver to the scenic Inside Passage and the fjords of the Alaska Panhandle with their ancient glaciers and incredible variety of wildlife.
Every summer, I go berry picking in the forest to make my famous "five berry jam" with wild blackberry, thimbleberry, blackcap raspberry, salmonberry and huckleberry. In the autumn the hillsides are ablaze with the colours of fire as leaves on the maples, alders, willows and oaks prepare to undress for the winter. Wintertime is magical, especially under a blanket of new fallen snow. Animal and bird tracks testify to the life that abounds in these woods, which are home to black tail deer, raccoon, squirrel, black bear, and the occasional cougar looking for an easy meal. Springtime brings a profusion of native wildflowers, flowering shrubs and the growth of new leaves on the trees, while migrating birds crowd our feeders. Eagles and Turkey vultures soar above during the day, while swallows, owls and bats swoop through the evening sky. On clear nights, we can easily see the Milky Way, seasonal meteor showers such as the Perseids (early August), and on very special nights, the Aurora Borealis.
Virtual Tourist lets me share my international travel experiences with the world, but Nanoose is my home, and I always look forward to returning to it. If you lived where I do, I think you would as well.

• Pros:Fresh air, spectacular landscapes and views, peace and quiet, wildlife everywhere
  • Cons:No transit service, 6km to the nearest shops, getting snowed in
  • In a nutshell:Paradise on Earth!
  • Intro Updated Aug 30, 2009

Comments

kunduz

“Been there, done that!”

Ranked Member

Badges & Stats in Nanoose Bay

Have you been to Nanoose Bay?

Latest Activity in Nanoose Bay