"AzLisa's new Imperial Beach Page" Imperial Beach by AzLisa

Imperial Beach Travel Guide: 89 reviews and 207 photos

The picture above was taken with my digital camera from the balcony of my condo.
Imperial Beach is a great beach if you want a quiet, relaxing beach. When I was there May 18-25th, 2002, you saw very little people walking around on the beach and only a couple of people laying out. It might have been partly the fact that the summer season hadn't kicked in yet. If you are looking for lots of action, this is not the place for you!

You will see a lot of surfers--especially in the morning and late afternoon. I don't know if that is common or just the fact that there was a well known surfing competition going on there a few days of our stay.

It is just a great beach if you want to relax and be mellow. I do not think, honestly, that I would have liked Imperial Beach if it wasn't for the fact that we had a wonderful condo right on the beach. We were just feet from the sand. So, we didn't even want to go out sightseeing much because we had the perfect view from our balcony off our living room and bedroom and we only had to walk a few feet to go lay out or get to the sand.

That was truly the best part of the stay---our beachfront condo. I HIGHLY suggest that getting a beach condo as being the ONLY way to go if you go to IB. The prices are cheaper, for the most part, than a beach house on Mission Beach or Pacific Beach.

The Tin Fish Restaurant at the end of the pier has VERY good seafood---extremely fresh and yummy. But it is quite pricey for such a casual atmosphere. They only have a small area inside to eat or tables outside (which I don't suggest, unless you want to be beating off birds every second you eat). But, the food is very good and the cooks are very accommodating and very nice.

If you like to eat dinner late (like we do) then you will have a hard time trying to find places open to eat. I was very surprised how early some dinner places closed. So, keep that in mind. Also, if you want ANY sort of nightlife, you will have to drive into San Diego. There is none here.

All in all, IB is a great beach if you mostly want to just relax; walk the beach and pier and lay out. If you do go to IB, DEFINITELY go into Coronado which is just north on the Silver Strand highway. Visit the historic Hotel Del Coronado. There are also more variety in restaurants and they tend to stay open later, etc.

• Last visit to Imperial Beach: May 2002
  • Intro Written Jun 19, 2002

Ranked Member

Badges & Stats in Imperial Beach

Have you been to Imperial Beach?

Latest Activity in Imperial Beach