"Across the island to paradise" Top 5 Page for this destination Zanzibar Island by londonbabe

Zanzibar Island Travel Guide: 71 reviews and 642 photos

Went from Stone Town to Matemwe for four days, then back again to spend more time in Stone Town. In retrospect, four days in ST was MORE than enough.
This page gives more details for the hotel at Matemwe, with a travelogue and also a brief travelogue on our trip across the island.
And yes, they are all our own photos. They are also posted on an external site at a larger size, together with extra ones - let me know if you want the url.

• Pros:Friendly people, fantastic fruit.
  • Cons:Not very much to do.
  • In a nutshell:Talk to Zanzibaris, don't just lie on the beach.
  • Last visit to Zanzibar Island: Jan 2003
  • Intro Updated Jun 25, 2003

• rick_harcus's Profile Photo
    Jan 17, 2007 at 8:51 PM

Hey Londonbabe, I read you mention "Stay off the beach" in cons - but I can't find why ;) I'm travelling to Zanzibar after a Kilimanjaro trek in February and was planning on doing just that!!! Thanks for your writeup

• BerniShand's Profile Photo
    Jul 16, 2005 at 1:43 PM

super intro pic, the hole in the rock looks like Africa ! theres one in Narooma NSW that looks like Australia the very name Zanzibar conjures up the images of exotic beaches and spices

• 850prc's Profile Photo
    Apr 16, 2005 at 6:36 PM

CC Africa had an incredible-looking property in Zanzibar. I remember seeing it when we were scouting our information for Namibia. Looks like you had a blast on your trip to nutmegland. Say hello to Fred...both of then.

• sue_stone's Profile Photo
    Mar 5, 2005 at 12:49 AM

Matemwe Beach sure looks like somewhere I would like to be right now...

• LuisGuimaraes's Profile Photo
    Feb 2, 2005 at 12:05 PM

The football photo "not in school" provoques in me undescribable feelings! Football is such a beautiful thing, when pure and moneyless, isn't it.

• kyoub's Profile Photo
    Jul 1, 2004 at 3:40 AM

Very interesting. Nice pictures.

• travelife's Profile Photo
    May 13, 2004 at 11:17 PM

Love those pictures of Zanzibar. Simply amazing,

• aukjejetty's Profile Photo
    Jan 5, 2004 at 11:49 AM

My childhood teacher always talked about Zanzibar, it is great to find out it is such a lovely island. Sounds like a good destination for a few days.

• SirRichard's Profile Photo
    Dec 15, 2003 at 12:21 AM

I did the Spice Tour too, and liked it, is rather touristic but a good experience! Good pics!!

• mtncorg's Profile Photo
    Aug 20, 2003 at 2:46 PM

You have demonstrated that Zanizibar is indeed famous for something other than Freddie Mercury! Nice pictures.

londonbabe

“Not all who wander, are lost”

Badges & Stats in Zanzibar Island

Have you been to Zanzibar Island?

Latest Activity in Zanzibar Island