"I LOVE GHENT!" Gent by londonbabe

Gent Travel Guide: 1,437 reviews and 3,724 photos

I've been to Ghent /Gent / Gand twice now. Both times the weather was grey and chilly, but both times the warmth of the welcome and the bars more than made up for the cold days.
Eurostar from London to Brussels can be as little as £79, which includes your onward journey to Ghent, in fact to anywhere in Belgium.

The train to Ghent also goes from Brussels Midi / Zuid and takes 35 mins direct, an hour if you take the 'omnibus' which stops everywhere, but you get a better view of the assorted farms on the way - everything from hens and goats to little fallow deer and peacocks!)
Bed and breakfast is 40 -50e if you want somewhere nice - cheaper and better than Bruges. And, above all, it's a great place.

Check my travelogue for my experiences with Belgians ..

• Pros:Architecture, Art, Ambience and Alcohol
  • Cons:Rain
  • Last visit to Gent: Jul 2002
  • Intro Updated Jan 30, 2005

• sourbugger's Profile Photo
    May 23, 2008 at 2:44 PM

gent is certainly belgioums hidden gem, long may that continue - then us 'in the know' can appreciate it's charms without the hoardes

• zweiblumen's Profile Photo
    Jul 26, 2005 at 1:19 PM

Beer? No mention of beer .. you can't go to Belgium without mentioning beer.. tut!

• 850prc's Profile Photo
    Apr 17, 2005 at 11:02 AM

Steak place looks great, and the B&B tips are perfect. I have to admit.... ::I:: take notice when someone from England calls a place rainy. : )

• Waalewiener's Profile Photo
    Apr 6, 2005 at 9:46 PM

Hi Sarah ,that is a nice page of Ghent you made Lori & I will be visiting Ghent in late July and we look forward to it I love seafood so the restaurant '' De Grill '' looks pretty inviting . Greatings from Canada not far from where you out-laws live hehe

• Apr 1, 2005 at 7:30 PM

Sarah, thanks for the tips on Gent. Actually I was planning to go from London to Gent and I think I will try the Eurostar. Still need to find a good hotel and more things to do. Wanna go back there in May '05? Think about it....lol....P

• sue_stone's Profile Photo
    Mar 5, 2005 at 2:03 AM

what the waterzooi !?

• Luchonda's Profile Photo
    Jan 30, 2005 at 4:43 AM

Next time, be my guest greets from Ghent

• irisbe's Profile Photo
    Jan 25, 2005 at 10:42 AM

over 30ties, looking serious, no cheeckbones, red hair LOL almost matches me :) don't tell anyone but I keep my tiny glasses a secret. I hate glasses :)) That sure was some waffle you had there! I like Gent as well!

• Mahieu's Profile Photo
    Jan 21, 2005 at 5:15 AM

What a great travelogue story! I like the way you perceive and observe when you travel! And you're right, Ghent is a great city! Greetings,

• miyls's Profile Photo
    Jul 16, 2002 at 7:03 AM

`Waffling` is a good headline!

londonbabe

“Not all who wander, are lost”

Badges & Stats in Gent