"Home of the first gold rush in America" Top 5 Page for this destination Dahlonega by kimberbakos
Dahlonega Travel Guide: 38 reviews and 95 photos
Since Dahlonega is home to the first gold rush in America, preceding the famous Fortyniners by 20 years. The state capital building dome in Atlanta is plated with gold from Dahlonega. Some of the gold was found by panning, and the majority of it was mined from below ground.
Not too far from Dahlonega, in Dawsonville, is Amicalola Falls. A nice hike here will help you work off the awesome food from the Smith House!
There are wonderful stores all around the town square, each filled with unique items that beg to be taken home. As you can see from the picture, more than a few things found their way home with us.
- Pros:A great place to spend a beautiful day
- Cons:Wouldn't be much fun in the rain
- In a nutshell:Enjoy an old fashioned bit of America in GA
Step back into time and shop at an old fashioned general store. I could have spent hours just poking around. They have... more travel advice
I've been here twice, each visit about 10 years apart, and the quality of the Smith House food hasn't changed - it is... more travel advice
kimberbakos' Related Pages
Dahlonega Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Gold, the slower pace, mountains, and tasty food"
- "Dahlonega, Georgia"
- "Home of the first gold rush in America"
- "Home of America's First Gold Rush"
- "Dahlonega: Gold Rush"
- "dahlonega georgia"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Dahlonega
- Hotels in Dahlonega
- Transportation in Dahlonega
- Nightlife in Dahlonega
- Restaurants in Dahlonega
- Shopping in Dahlonega
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Dahlonega
- 4 Reviews
- 14 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Dahlonega?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Dahlonega
Photos in DahlonegaSee All Photos (14)
Top 10 Pages
- China Intro, 15 reviews, 49 photos, 3 travelogues
- Chicago Intro, 26 reviews, 36 photos, 2 travelogues
- Fuzhou Intro, 16 reviews, 39 photos, 2 travelogues
- Niagara Falls Intro, 14 reviews, 33 photos, 3 travelogues
- Austin Intro, 18 reviews, 26 photos, 1 travelogue
- Beijing Intro, 14 reviews, 16 photos, 1 travelogue
- Guangzhou Intro, 12 reviews, 13 photos, 1 travelogue
- Saint Joseph Intro, 12 reviews, 11 photos, 1 travelogue
- Stevensville Intro, 5 reviews, 17 photos, 3 travelogues
- Coloma Intro, 5 reviews, 15 photos, 1 travelogue