"Three Mesas: Hopi Reservation" Second Mesa by NYMansour
Second Mesa Travel Guide: 13 reviews and 19 photos
This page is in progress.
The photo is an example of a type of Kachina Doll. The Kachina Dolls on the reservation are a little different than this one, nonetheless intrically painted.
One may visit the Mesas, and have a tour of a Hopi village on (I think) the first mesa. No photography is allowed - neither is sketching or drawing.
As you take the walking tour, you will pass Hopis trying to sell Kachina Dolls. This is part of their livlihood. A Kachina Doll can sell from $20 - $100. I didn't buy one because I was worried about my money. Instead, I bought a hand made gourd rattle by a Hopi resident for $10.
While visiting the Mesa, a non-Native man came to sell a special kind of wood out of which Hopis make the Kachina Dolls. He had an entire pick-up truck full of it.
The Hopi reservation is the poorest I have seen so far. Those inhabiting the reservation choose to live either in a traditional way, or a more "modern" way.
The Hopis, compared to the Navajos, are off very poorly. They have a very small reservation compared to the Navajo nation. They also "Winter Farm". Making it difficult to produce lots of food. The Hopi reservation/Three Mesas provides a tourist an insight to how Native Americans really got cheated and ripped off. Overall, they seem to be faring the best they can.
There is a Restaurant on the Second Mesa. Don't count on great service...I had a Mutton Stew.... I think one time is enough for that!
NYMansour's Related Pages
Second Mesa Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "LIVING HISTORY"
- "Three Mesas: Hopi Reservation"
- "Basaic Second Mesa Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Second Mesa
- Transportation in Second Mesa
- Restaurants in Second Mesa
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Second Mesa
- 1 Reviews
- 1 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Second Mesa?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Second Mesa
Photos in Second MesaSee All Photos (1)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chinle Intro, 5 reviews, 25 photos, 3 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 26 photos, 3 travelogues
- Boulder Intro, 4 reviews, 16 photos, 4 travelogues
- Rochester Intro, 1 review, 15 photos, 5 travelogues
- Springville Intro, 2 reviews, 14 photos, 2 travelogues
- Italy Intro, 2 reviews, 11 photos, 1 travelogue
- Santa Fe Intro, 13 photos, 3 travelogues
- Buffalo Intro, 10 photos, 3 travelogues
- New Mexico Intro, 9 photos, 2 travelogues
- Taos Intro, 1 review, 8 photos, 3 travelogues