"Canyon de Chelly" Top 5 Page for this destination Chinle by NYMansour

Chinle Travel Guide: 15 reviews and 62 photos

I stayed at Canyon de Chelly for 2+ days. You can camp there for free. I ended up sleeping in my car. No problem....I'm short enough where it wasn't too much of a problem. The campground has lots of animals....dogs and cats! I had a great time here....! This is a must see - must do .... take a guided walking tour through the canyon! If you want to go into the Canyon, you must be accompanied by a Navajo Tribal Member as your official guide. You meet up with guides at the tourist info office. I don't remember the exact cost, but it was not over 15$ per person. Expect the walking tour to take up to 4-5 hours. You can take a jeep tour too, but that looked really uncomfortable and bouncy.

Please see travelogue for many many pictures!!!

more info: http://www.nps.gov/cach/

• Last visit to Chinle: Oct 2001
  • Intro Written Jul 21, 2002

• AlbuqRay's Profile Photo
    May 13, 2007 at 9:44 AM

Thanks for the info on Canyon de Chelly, Nicky. I am wondering if any Navajo tribal member can guide you. I have several friends who are Navajo. Are you sure the last pic in the first travelogue is not Mesa Verde?

• NYMansour's Profile Photo
      Apr 9, 2013 at 1:50 PM

I just saw your comment. All tours through Canyon De Chelly are by Navajo guides. I'm not sure...it could be. I did go to Mesa Verde at the end of my trip. Over 10 years ago now... thanks for your comment :)

NYMansour