"Last glimps of civilisation?!" Ny-Ålesund by Spader
Ny-Ålesund Travel Guide: 7 reviews and 36 photos
In Ny-Ålesund you find the most northern postoffice and the main reason for many tourist to stop here. It was our second destination on the cruises and the crews last chance to phone home without using the very expensive satellitphone onboard. There is also a shop with souvenirs and the bare necessities like sweets, tobacco, plasters and other stuff.
Here is also the startingpoint of the swedish adventurer Andrée and his mates on their balloontrip to the north pole. The trip that would become their death. The mast slightly to the right in the photo is where the balloon took off from.
Ny-Ålesund exists mainly beacause it's a place for sience and reaserch. It's very important to respect and follow the instructions on how to behave in the area since the whole place is monitored and observed. Most of the inhabitants are reaserchers and students.
- Pros:Last phone and last shop
- Cons:Last of most
- In a nutshell:Last stop before the adventures!
Spader's Related Pages
Ny-Ålesund Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The World's northernmost community"
- "Northernmost civilian settlement on Earth"
- "Ny Ålesund"
- "Last glimps of civilisation?!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ny-Ålesund
- Nightlife in Ny-Ålesund
- Restaurants in Ny-Ålesund
- Warnings and Dangers in Ny-Ålesund
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Ny-Ålesund
- 0 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (2)
Have you been to Ny-Ålesund?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ny-Ålesund
Photos in Ny-ÅlesundSee All Photos (3)
Top 10 Pages
- Svalbard Intro, 2 reviews, 17 photos, 2 travelogues
- Boston Intro, 5 reviews, 5 photos, 2 travelogues
- Antalya Intro, 3 reviews, 3 photos
- Göteborg Intro, 5 reviews, 1 photo
- Troms Region Intro, 2 reviews, 4 photos
- Warsaw Intro, 2 reviews, 3 photos
- Kungälv Intro, 2 reviews, 3 photos
- Turkey Intro, 2 reviews, 2 photos
- Barcelona Intro, 1 review, 2 photos
- Crete Island Intro, 1 review, 2 photos