"No effort to like Erfurt" Top 5 Page for this destination Erfurt by iandsmith
Erfurt Travel Guide: 298 reviews and 911 photos
To be honest, I was looking for a place to stop between Gorlitz and Brugge that had a rail connection.
Erfurt was that place. I had no idea really what to expect as I had concentrated on the other places I was going to visit but, I always have a rule that you must stay at least two nights in a place.
I knew there was a castle somewhere nearby but held little expectation for the town itself.
The train approached and I was even less enthused. Erfurt plainly was going to have little to offer.
I alighted and walked to the tram stop following the instructions to my accommodation. I boarded the indicated tram.
The next 3 km blew me away. Had I been misplaced and delivered into Disneyland's History World?
Here a mediaeval building, there a Normandy (Tudor) style, around the corner a wonderful baroque.
I figured this was going to be a thoroughly enjoyable two days. This time I was right.
This is a city of over 210,000 people with a history as colourful as you could hope for and is the capital of Thuringia, a centrally located state of Germany.
It's history very much parallels Gorlitz', the city I had just left to come here. Both were built on the woad trade and the fact that the road between Paris and Novgorod ran straight through the towns.
Tragically, even as recently as 2002, Erfurt was on the world stage though in general I found the place unthreatening, the people welcoming and tourism, though going well, undervalued by other western countries which makes it great if you seek some authenticity.
Since I first came here, one thing has become abundant. Unfortunately, that one thing is graffiti. It has reached plague proportions in the city and really puts a dampener on many of the areas.
Though it's noteable in the old city where tourists go it is absolutely appalling the amount of it out in the suburbs. Hopefully the good burghers of Erfurt will read this and start doing something about it.
I won't gratify the exponents by giving them even greater exposure here, which is why there is no picture.
- Pros:Easy to get around, heaps to see, lack of foreign tourists
- In a nutshell:An undersold delight
The Fischmarkt is such and interesting place. Some of Erfurt's finest architecture abounds in this small plaza and, for... more travel advice
Erfurt is in a strange position of having at least three turm (towers) with nothing attached. At least two of them (see... more travel advice
iandsmith's Related Pages
Erfurt Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "No effort to like Erfurt"
- "The old part of Erfurt is just beautiful"
- "Opera in Erfurt"
- "The sublime Erfurt...."
- "Erfordia turrita - Erfurt, the City of Towers"
- "Erfurt - Rome of Thuringia"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Erfurt
- Hotels in Erfurt
- Transportation in Erfurt
- Nightlife in Erfurt
- Restaurants in Erfurt
- Shopping in Erfurt
- Warnings and Dangers in Erfurt
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Erfurt
- 58 Reviews
- 162 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (270)
Have you been to Erfurt?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Erfurt
- Posted in Travel Grafton Forum "Re: What does Grafton Need?"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Thuringian State Chancellery"
- Wrote a Review A funny thing happened on the way to the forum in Erfurt Favorites
- updated a Erfurt Travel Page "No effort to like Erfurt"
- Commented on one of alancollins's Erfurt travel pages
Photos in ErfurtSee All Photos (162)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Australia Intro, 226 reviews, 557 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Tasmania Intro, 136 reviews, 485 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sydney Intro, 152 reviews, 383 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Newcastle Intro, 152 reviews, 301 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Italy Intro, 165 reviews, 253 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Blue Mountains National Park Intro, 88 reviews, 259 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Western Australia Intro, 75 reviews, 230 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brugge Intro, 72 reviews, 209 photos
- New England Range Intro, 97 reviews, 172 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Coffs Harbour Intro, 76 reviews, 191 photos