"Scotland, a sassenach's view" Scotland by iandsmith

Scotland Travel Guide: 12,672 reviews and 28,094 photos

Scotland - a walk (or two) on the wild side

Research had given me certain facts. 1. Some of Scotland is extraordinarily beautiful. 2. The weather is "***e". 3. Scotland has lots of castles. 4. The Scots are friendly.
All of the above I found to be true. Some additions I would make are that the castles, in general, aren't as huge as elsewhere; some of Scotland is so bleak it's amazing; Scotland has a declining population, well, that is until the Polish community started moving in (like 3,000 plus into Inverness).
I race pushbikes every weekend. Some of the club members are Scots. They all speak of their mother country with reverence and pride. None of them want to go back. I had to investigate this apparent contradiction for myself.
What I promise you on my pages is places you've never heard of (even if you're a Scot), a touch of humour and an admiration for anyone who can put up with that weather.
Driving in Scotland: The good news - there aren't any potholes; just about every road is sealed; apart from the city areas, there's not a lot of traffic.
The bad news - There's nowhere to pull over on the side of the road; most roads are narrow

• Pros:Scenery, friendly natives, rural atmosphere
  • Cons:Weather, weather and the weather. Oh, and did I mention the weather?
  • In a nutshell:The west is scenically the best of Great Britain.
  • Last visit to Scotland: Nov 2005
  • Intro Updated Jan 28, 2006

• Beausoleil's Profile Photo
    Jul 12, 2010 at 9:42 PM

Terrific comments. We also loved Plockton . . . and the wilds of Scotland.

• aussirose's Profile Photo
    Mar 12, 2010 at 6:43 PM

What a fantastic page Ian!! I just love your pages mate!! :o) Gorgeous pix & your stories are wonderful!!....just like travelling with you :o) ...and I found your ppp too! Good stuff!! :o) Cheers, Ann xx

• DAO's Profile Photo
    Jul 30, 2009 at 1:19 PM

OK, I found lost. Cool about the observation mound. Always great to find a bit of history.

• tpal's Profile Photo
    Feb 3, 2009 at 10:49 AM

Hi Ian, Wonderful writing and photos and I learned that I am the only person on earth who doesn't know that palms grow in Plockton ;-) Carol and I will visit this Fall so weather observations help alot. Thanks for the preview...Tom

• 850prc's Profile Photo
    Jan 23, 2009 at 11:11 AM

Cool Scots page, Ian. Tombstones with skull & crossbones, awards for "best loos"... all very cool. BTW, I know a guy named Urquhart here in Florida. Think they're rellies?

• kschatterbox's Profile Photo
    Apr 9, 2007 at 7:38 PM

I am shocked how trustworthy they were! But good to see that people are still tustworthy these days.

• robertgaz's Profile Photo
    Oct 22, 2006 at 11:49 PM

Fabulous tips on an amazing country... it appears that an award is one way of improving the standard of loos ;~)

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Sep 9, 2006 at 4:31 PM

A monumental task well done. Stone bridges, castles, ruins, architecture, history, gardens, autumn colors, landscapes, burial sites, churches & abbeys, and RAIN...what more could you want? Splendid stories, better than ANY tourist guide.

• Natalya2006's Profile Photo
    Aug 29, 2006 at 12:26 PM

Thanks for a comment on my page! Very nice pictures of Scotland! We returned yesterday from England. Our drean to see Scotland. My heart’s in the Highlands, my heart is not here; My heart’s in the Highlands, a-chasing the deer...

• hundwalder's Profile Photo
    May 10, 2006 at 6:03 AM

Excellent narrative and photos Ian. Eager to read more when I get the time. Bravo !

iandsmith

“The shortest distance between two people is laughter (note sign in picture)”

Badges & Stats in Scotland

Have you been to Scotland?

Latest Activity in Scotland