"Scotland, a sassenach's view" Scotland by iandsmith
Scotland Travel Guide: 12,835 reviews and 28,813 photos
Research had given me certain facts. 1. Some of Scotland is extraordinarily beautiful. 2. The weather is "***e". 3. Scotland has lots of castles. 4. The Scots are friendly.
All of the above I found to be true. Some additions I would make are that the castles, in general, aren't as huge as elsewhere; some of Scotland is so bleak it's amazing; Scotland has a declining population, well, that is until the Polish community started moving in (like 3,000 plus into Inverness).
I race pushbikes every weekend. Some of the club members are Scots. They all speak of their mother country with reverence and pride. None of them want to go back. I had to investigate this apparent contradiction for myself.
What I promise you on my pages is places you've never heard of (even if you're a Scot), a touch of humour and an admiration for anyone who can put up with that weather.
Driving in Scotland: The good news - there aren't any potholes; just about every road is sealed; apart from the city areas, there's not a lot of traffic.
The bad news - There's nowhere to pull over on the side of the road; most roads are narrow
- Pros:Scenery, friendly natives, rural atmosphere
- Cons:Weather, weather and the weather. Oh, and did I mention the weather?
- In a nutshell:The west is scenically the best of Great Britain.
There are 3 occasions during history that significantly helped put Pitlochry on the tourist map. In the early 1700's... more travel advice
"Take the road down there if you're not in a hurry, it's much prettier and there's no traffic." Thus the words had... more travel advice
iandsmith's Related Pages
Scotland Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Scotland For The Brave"
- "Scotland Travel Tips - Scotland Edinburgh Orkney"
- "My Scotland page"
- "Alba, Caledonia, "God's Country"; this is Scotland"
- "Scotland: fascinating and impressive"
- "Ben-UK's Scotland page"
- "Scotland, a sassenach's view"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Scotland
- Hotels in Scotland
- Transportation in Scotland
- Nightlife in Scotland
- Restaurants in Scotland
- Shopping in Scotland
- Warnings and Dangers in Scotland
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Scotland
- 82 Reviews
- 172 Photos
- 8 Forum posts
- 3 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (96)
Have you been to Scotland?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Scotland
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Australia Intro, 225 reviews, 552 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Tasmania Intro, 128 reviews, 448 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sydney Intro, 150 reviews, 380 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Newcastle Intro, 152 reviews, 301 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Italy Intro, 165 reviews, 253 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Blue Mountains National Park Intro, 88 reviews, 259 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Western Australia Intro, 75 reviews, 230 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brugge Intro, 72 reviews, 209 photos
- New England Range Intro, 97 reviews, 171 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Coffs Harbour Intro, 76 reviews, 191 photos