"Coromandel - A peninsula to see" Top 5 Page for this destination Coromandel by iandsmith

Coromandel Travel Guide: 180 reviews and 590 photos

On the road less travelled

I couldn't work out whether to put Cathedral Cove or the view at Tairua here. In the end I obviously did neither and opted for the rare instead. This is one of my favourite shots and is of an obscure place called Waiau Falls, located on the shortest route from Tairua to Coromandel. It also happens to be narrow and dirt which explains why few tourists bother. Yet, if the weather is good it will certainly cut time off your trip.

On the "must-do" list

The best walk I did on all the North Island was undoubtedly the one to Cathedral Cove. This would be in any "top three" things to do for Coromandel. Don't miss it.

Atop the hill

If there's one view I'll never forget on the North Island, it's the one from the top of Paku Hill. I could have spent hours up there. I say "could have" because the weather was just as determined to stop me but I did manage a half hour there on the first afternoon before it all turned crap.

• Pros:Very scenic, very lush, very pretty
  • Cons:Narrow winding roads
  • In a nutshell:Lived up to expectations - recommended
  • Last visit to Coromandel: Aug 2007
  • Intro Written Sep 3, 2007

• KimberlyAnn's Profile Photo
    Oct 17, 2008 at 9:49 AM

What a fun tip on the railway! I just loved Cathedral Cove. This area looks exactly like the kind of place I love to explore. And wow! The views from Puka Hill. As always your Off the Beaten Path tips are excellent. Great photos! What a lovely place.

• cnango's Profile Photo
    Feb 19, 2008 at 8:03 AM

Hi Ian, You did a gr8 job here. Well written tips & gorgeous pics. I love Cormandel & this page brought back some good memories as well as introduced me to some things we missed. Thanks for sharing.

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    Nov 15, 2007 at 9:37 PM

Wow ! What an amazing place ! You have built out of it an outstanding page with fabulous pictures ! Great ! I knew the name Coromandel but would have been unable to spot it on a map !

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Sep 26, 2007 at 3:18 AM

Great story of the narrow-gauge railway. No wonder this place is so popular!

• Darby2's Profile Photo
    Sep 18, 2007 at 6:31 PM

I'm hoping to visit NZ in a year or so. Great stuff.

• nickandchris's Profile Photo
    Sep 7, 2007 at 1:24 AM

Of all the places I've visited on VT this has to be no. 1. Absolutely beautiful with fantastic tips. Maybe one day we'll see this. Thanks.

iandsmith

“The shortest distance between two people is laughter (note sign in picture)”

Badges & Stats in Coromandel

Have you been to Coromandel?

Latest Activity in Coromandel