New Zealand Sports & Outdoors Tips by iandsmith
New Zealand Sports & Outdoors: 82 reviews and 103 photos
A Remarkable skifield
Skiing is probably the sport that attracts more tourists to New Zealand than any other. It can be great, like the first year I went, or it can be very ordinary, such as the second year I went.
My son and I spent time on Cardrona, Coronet Peak, The Remarkables, Treble Cone, Mt. Hutt, Craigieburn and went heli-skiing. The first year was sensational. While driving out from Christchurch we heard on the radio there was 20cm of fresh snow on a 3 metres plus base. We'd probably never skied on a metre in Oz so we were pretty excited, and rightly so.
The entire first trip was a memory of untracked skifields and fresh dumps. Cardrona was open with gentler slopes; Coronet Peak is very much affected by where the sun is shining as parts are ice and others can be slush all in the same run; Remarkables has sharp rocks and is best skied when there's good cover; Treble Cone is steep and better suited to the more advanced skiers; Mt. Hutt has the scariest drive to any skifield when the wind is blowing but the field is varied and offers some good runs; Craigieburn is a field hard to access with primitive facilities but some great runs; heli-skiing depends very much on conditions. The day we went it was crud and only suitable to good skiers but the scenery alone is worth the trip, it really is no exaggeration to say it was sensational.
Equipment: Christchurch has plenty of hire facilities, as does Queenstown and Wanaka but most of the fields have hire facilities, even in small villages, nearby the fields.
Someone has to give
I have no idea where I should have put this photo but, rather obviously, I chose here.
We were walking through the wonderfully pleasant lakeside park at Queenstown when we came across this, for want of a better name, apparatus and, being red-blooded males, decided to put it to some use.
Just for the record, I won! I think it was a case or old age and cunning beating youth and enthusiasm.
Equipment: I can recommend non-slip shoes.
Directions: On the shores of Lake Wakitipu, Queenstown
"Let me go!" (We did)
I could have called this tip "fishing" but, in the world of fishing, New Zealand rates highly and is noted for its trout. Fly fishermen delight in tackling the many streams, often accompanied by sand flies, in a bid to land a big one, of which there are plenty.
Wooses like us chose another option, hiring a boat from Fish 'n' Trips out of Te Anau on a rainy afternoon.
While the trip on the lake was interesting and we caught several trout, both rainbow and brown, actually reeling them in was the most leaden experience I can recall whilst fishing. There was absolutely no fighting or sensation that a scaly creature was on the other end of the line as we trolled around. It may be hard to believe that you can be reeling in a near-two-kilo trout and not know there's anything on the line until it's next to the boat but, seriously, that's exactly what happened every time. Bit disappointing really.
Equipment: Our host, Ian Murray, supplied everything and knew his stuff and the boat was solid and safe.
Address: 51 Bligh Street, Te Anau
Theme: Fishing Trips
More Reviews (46)
- See All ...all the opportunities you give...
- See All Getting High
- See All Key to the Bay of Islands
- See All In the city
iandsmith's Related Pages
New Zealand Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Kia Ora - Aotearoa"
- "A Proud Local Shows You Around New Zealand!!!"
- "Antipodean Paradise"
- "Living and Travelling in New Zealand"
- "The most beautiful country in the world"
- "North & South Islands."
- "God's Country!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in New Zealand
- Hotels in New Zealand
- Transportation in New Zealand
- Nightlife in New Zealand
- Restaurants in New Zealand
- Shopping in New Zealand
- Warnings and Dangers in New Zealand
- See All...
Explore the World
- Nashville Hotels
- Clearwater Beach Hotels
- Bukit Batok Town Park Hotels
- Antalya Hotels
- London Hotels
- Camberwell Hotels
- Hong Kong
- Cumbayá Hotels
- Ocho Rios Hotels
- East London Hotels
- Riva del Garda
- Chancellorsville Hotels
- Montecatini Terme
- Lloret de Mar
Badges & Stats in New Zealand
- 129 Reviews
- 459 Photos
- 31 Forum posts
- 6 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (92)
Have you been to New Zealand?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in New Zealand
- Posted in Travel Perth Forum "Re: Driving from Perth to Broome..."
- updated a New Zealand Travel Page "iandsmith's new New Zealand Page"
- Uploaded a Photo to "The Paku experience"
- Wrote a Review ...all the opportunities you give them.... in New Zealand Warnings and Dangers
- Commented on one of Kakapo2's New Zealand travel pages
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Australia Intro, 220 reviews, 527 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Tasmania Intro, 128 reviews, 448 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sydney Intro, 140 reviews, 333 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Newcastle Intro, 151 reviews, 296 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Italy Intro, 165 reviews, 253 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Blue Mountains National Park Intro, 88 reviews, 259 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Western Australia Intro, 75 reviews, 230 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brugge Intro, 72 reviews, 209 photos
- New England Range Intro, 97 reviews, 167 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Coffs Harbour Intro, 73 reviews, 183 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (118)
Travel InterestsSee All Travel Interests (5)
Top New Zealand hotels
- Auckland Hotels
- 1042 Reviews - 2303 Photos
- Wellington Hotels
- 593 Reviews - 1272 Photos
- Rotorua Hotels
- 480 Reviews - 1216 Photos
- Queenstown Hotels
- 641 Reviews - 1706 Photos
- Christchurch Hotels
- 1244 Reviews - 2614 Photos
- Tauranga Hotels
- 18 Reviews - 49 Photos
- Palmerston North Hotels
- 32 Reviews - 92 Photos
- Paihia Hotels
- 118 Reviews - 263 Photos
- Kaikoura Hotels
- 206 Reviews - 681 Photos
- Napier Hotels
- 200 Reviews - 520 Photos
- Dunedin Hotels
- 340 Reviews - 803 Photos
- Oamaru Hotels
- 50 Reviews - 98 Photos
- Taupo (town) Hotels
- 32 Reviews - 101 Photos
- New Plymouth Hotels
- 18 Reviews - 42 Photos
- Matamata Hotels
- 27 Reviews - 147 Photos
- Rotorua- 42 Reviews, 69 Photos
- Queenstown- 30 Reviews, 52 Photos
- Auckland- 53 Reviews, 99 Photos
- Adventure Activities- 37 Reviews, 62 Photos
- Northland- 32 Reviews, 53 Photos
- Christchurch- 19 Reviews, 44 Photos
- West Coast, South Island.- 21 Reviews, 38 Photos
- Fiordland National Park- 23 Reviews, 38 Photos
- Canterbury- 35 Reviews, 56 Photos
- Bay of Islands- 22 Reviews, 43 Photos
See All New Zealand Things to Do