New Zealand Sports & Outdoors Tips by iandsmith
New Zealand Sports & Outdoors: 82 reviews and 103 photos
A Remarkable skifield
Skiing is probably the sport that attracts more tourists to New Zealand than any other. It can be great, like the first year I went, or it can be very ordinary, such as the second year I went.
My son and I spent time on Cardrona, Coronet Peak, The Remarkables, Treble Cone, Mt. Hutt, Craigieburn and went heli-skiing. The first year was sensational. While driving out from Christchurch we heard on the radio there was 20cm of fresh snow on a 3 metres plus base. We'd probably never skied on a metre in Oz so we were pretty excited, and rightly so.
The entire first trip was a memory of untracked skifields and fresh dumps. Cardrona was open with gentler slopes; Coronet Peak is very much affected by where the sun is shining as parts are ice and others can be slush all in the same run; Remarkables has sharp rocks and is best skied when there's good cover; Treble Cone is steep and better suited to the more advanced skiers; Mt. Hutt has the scariest drive to any skifield when the wind is blowing but the field is varied and offers some good runs; Craigieburn is a field hard to access with primitive facilities but some great runs; heli-skiing depends very much on conditions. The day we went it was crud and only suitable to good skiers but the scenery alone is worth the trip, it really is no exaggeration to say it was sensational.
Equipment: Christchurch has plenty of hire facilities, as does Queenstown and Wanaka but most of the fields have hire facilities, even in small villages, nearby the fields.
Someone has to give
I have no idea where I should have put this photo but, rather obviously, I chose here.
We were walking through the wonderfully pleasant lakeside park at Queenstown when we came across this, for want of a better name, apparatus and, being red-blooded males, decided to put it to some use.
Just for the record, I won! I think it was a case or old age and cunning beating youth and enthusiasm.
Equipment: I can recommend non-slip shoes.
Directions: On the shores of Lake Wakitipu, Queenstown
"Let me go!" (We did)
I could have called this tip "fishing" but, in the world of fishing, New Zealand rates highly and is noted for its trout. Fly fishermen delight in tackling the many streams, often accompanied by sand flies, in a bid to land a big one, of which there are plenty.
Wooses like us chose another option, hiring a boat from Fish 'n' Trips out of Te Anau on a rainy afternoon.
While the trip on the lake was interesting and we caught several trout, both rainbow and brown, actually reeling them in was the most leaden experience I can recall whilst fishing. There was absolutely no fighting or sensation that a scaly creature was on the other end of the line as we trolled around. It may be hard to believe that you can be reeling in a near-two-kilo trout and not know there's anything on the line until it's next to the boat but, seriously, that's exactly what happened every time. Bit disappointing really.
Equipment: Our host, Ian Murray, supplied everything and knew his stuff and the boat was solid and safe.
Address: 51 Bligh Street, Te Anau
Theme: Fishing Trips
More Reviews (46)
- See All ...all the opportunities you give...
- See All Getting High
- See All Key to the Bay of Islands
- See All In the city
iandsmith's Related Pages
New Zealand Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Kia Ora - Aotearoa"
- "A Proud Local Shows You Around New Zealand!!!"
- "Antipodean Paradise"
- "Living and Travelling in New Zealand"
- "The most beautiful country in the world"
- "North & South Islands."
- "God's Country!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in New Zealand
- Hotels in New Zealand
- Transportation in New Zealand
- Nightlife in New Zealand
- Restaurants in New Zealand
- Shopping in New Zealand
- Warnings and Dangers in New Zealand
- See All...
Explore the World
- Les Menuires Hotels
- Lower Paia Hotels
- Saint Mark Hotels
- Madocsa Hotels
- Ross on Wye
- Maccagno Inferiore
Badges & Stats in New Zealand
- 129 Reviews
- 459 Photos
- 31 Forum posts
- 6 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (92)
Have you been to New Zealand?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in New Zealand
- Posted in Travel Hobart Forum "Re: Driving holiday Tasmania"
- updated a New Zealand Travel Page "iandsmith's new New Zealand Page"
- Uploaded a Photo to "The Paku experience"
- Wrote a Review ...all the opportunities you give them.... in New Zealand Warnings and Dangers
- Commented on one of Kakapo2's New Zealand travel pages
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Australia Intro, 219 reviews, 518 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Tasmania Intro, 128 reviews, 448 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sydney Intro, 138 reviews, 323 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Newcastle Intro, 151 reviews, 296 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Italy Intro, 165 reviews, 253 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Blue Mountains National Park Intro, 87 reviews, 254 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Western Australia Intro, 75 reviews, 230 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brugge Intro, 72 reviews, 209 photos
- New England Range Intro, 97 reviews, 167 photos, 2 travelogues
- London Intro, 94 reviews, 153 photos, 3 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (112)
Travel InterestsSee All Travel Interests (5)
Top New Zealand hotels
- Auckland Hotels
- 1035 Reviews - 2271 Photos
- Wellington Hotels
- 591 Reviews - 1252 Photos
- Queenstown Hotels
- 630 Reviews - 1670 Photos
- Rotorua Hotels
- 474 Reviews - 1182 Photos
- Christchurch Hotels
- 1239 Reviews - 2600 Photos
- Palmerston North Hotels
- 32 Reviews - 92 Photos
- Mangere Hotels
- 2 Reviews
- New Plymouth Hotels
- 18 Reviews - 42 Photos
- Napier Hotels
- 198 Reviews - 519 Photos
- Tauranga Hotels
- 18 Reviews - 49 Photos
- Whangarei Hotels
- 65 Reviews - 82 Photos
- Gisborne Hotels
- 50 Reviews - 105 Photos
- Taupo (town) Hotels
- 21 Reviews - 47 Photos
- Hamilton Hotels
- 55 Reviews - 226 Photos
- Matamata Hotels
- 26 Reviews - 127 Photos
- Auckland- 51 Reviews, 94 Photos
- Northland- 32 Reviews, 53 Photos
- Rotorua- 39 Reviews, 58 Photos
- Kaikoura- 18 Reviews, 37 Photos
- Queenstown- 30 Reviews, 52 Photos
- Fiordland National Park- 23 Reviews, 38 Photos
- Bay of Islands- 22 Reviews, 43 Photos
- Taupo- 17 Reviews, 21 Photos
- Adventure Activities- 37 Reviews, 62 Photos
- Wellington- 17 Reviews, 20 Photos
See All New Zealand Things to Do