"Festival State" Top 5 Page for this destination State of South Australia by iandsmith
State of South Australia Travel Guide: 3,283 reviews and 8,496 photos
Mention one thing most Australians know about South Australia and the majority will probably come up with the Barossa Valley, a famed vineyard area. The Barossa, as it is commonly known, is only a part of a great wine growing state. Tack on the Clare Valley, McLaren Vale and the classic Coonawarra region and you're covering a significant slice of grape country, but far from all.
Adelaide, the capital, is known as the city of churches, helped by a few distinctive spires located in key spots so that it doesn't matter where you are in the city, you are rarely far from having one in view.
Another thing the city is noted for is the nearby Adelaide Hills, an area with beautiful suburbs of leafy trees and prize gardens such as Crafers and Stirling, the latter named after one of Adelaide's famous sons.
Then there's Glenelg. If it's dining and partying and summer then that's where you'll be, a short tram ride from the CBD.
For an outback experience, one of the finest in Australia is to be found in the Flinders Ranges, especially Wilpena Pound or, if opals are your thing, then Coober Pedy is an experience with a difference - be prepared to sleep underground and be prepared for heat.
Fishing is another thing S.A. is noted for but, for the best results, you need to own or hire a boat.
On the driest continent on the planet, this is the driest state, though you'd find that hard to believe down south. It's more a reflection of the northern parts but it's certainly not a state where you'd go looking for rainforests.
The state also has a famous cycle race, the Tour Down Under, towards the end of January, which attracts large crowds during its running.
For my third trip to South Australia I opted for the Eyre Peninsula. I'm so glad I did. If you enjoy natural scenery this is a "must-see" place in Australia.
From some of the most stunning coastal scenery (see my Port Lincoln page for one) to Murphys Haystacks (Streaky Bay pages) to fishing (see Coffin Bay pages) this place has a wealth of things to see though, at first glance it may appear that there's not much there.
The Flinders, as they are commonly known, are something of an icon in Australian landscapes. Painters and photographers have salivated over this place. Indeed, one of Australia's foremost painters, Hans Heysen, has had a trail named after him that neatly bisects the area.
The extraordinary geological activity that preceded what we see today must have been truly awesome.
When you see it from the air it becomes even more apparent. Though I only spent just under a day there I managed to see quite a lot and set a new record (for me) of over 200 snaps in a day. It's that good.
On a subsequent trip I visited Mount Remarkable National Park and, though I was there only a short time, saw some wonderful scenery and highly recommend it.
- Pros:A variety of experiences, generally good weather
- Cons:Sometimes it's a fair way between attractions
- In a nutshell:A relaxing place to visit.
This is a place that is really a pit stop for anyone that has ever been through but, having gone for a ride on our bikes... more travel advice
This is the ultimate trip for many Australians. For some it's part of "The Lap", a colloquialism for going right around... more travel advice
iandsmith's Related Pages
State of South Australia Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "South Australia - the driest state in Australia."
- "Diverse Beauty to be found in SA"
- "Festival State"
- "S.A. - THE FORGOTTEN STATE!"
- "The great outdoors"
- "S.A. Great ... a stolen catchphrase!"
- "South Australia"
- See All...
- Things to Do in State of South Australia
- Hotels in State of South Australia
- Transportation in State of South Australia
- Nightlife in State of South Australia
- Restaurants in State of South Australia
- Shopping in State of South Australia
- Warnings and Dangers in State of South Australia
- See All...
Badges & Stats in State of South Australia
- 158 Reviews
- 357 Photos
- 13 Forum posts
- 16 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (266)
Have you been to State of South Australia?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in State of South Australia
Photos in State of South AustraliaSee All Photos (357)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Australia Intro, 225 reviews, 552 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Tasmania Intro, 128 reviews, 448 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sydney Intro, 150 reviews, 380 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Newcastle Intro, 152 reviews, 301 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Italy Intro, 165 reviews, 253 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Blue Mountains National Park Intro, 88 reviews, 259 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Western Australia Intro, 75 reviews, 230 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brugge Intro, 72 reviews, 209 photos
- New England Range Intro, 97 reviews, 172 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Coffs Harbour Intro, 76 reviews, 191 photos