Spain Local Custom Tips by iandsmith
Spain Local Customs: 298 reviews and 272 photos
Is that really a Gucci?
That's the wonderful thing about holidays, you just never know what's around the corner.
There I was in Carmona (see "Off the Beaten Track") and around the corner came the school excursion - all dressed in Roman outfits, in keeping with the necropolis they were about to see.
Apparently they do it every year. What a wonderful idea! This was the teacher, he had the best outfit.
Meet the locals
I'm not sure that this is in the right category but what the heck! These local girls from Llanes in Cantabria were dressed in colourful traditional costume and we caught them on their way out.
When in Spain, the language you have in your guide book may not necessarily be the one spoken where you are. When you speak English and only have a little Spanish to work with it can be hard when the people you're trying to make conversation with are fluent in Basque, Catalan or some local dialect like you get in the Pyrenees.
So, you're driving around Spain and you're wondering what all those huge black bulls are by the roadside. If you're really observant you'll also notice that there are no billboards in Spain. What's the connection I hear you thinking. Well, they used to have billboards but they (sensibly in my opinion) decided to ban them. However, since the bull is such a symbol of Spain and there was an outcry, they decided to leave some of billboards shaped like a bull which used to advertise a common alcoholic beveridge called, you guessed it, 'El Toro'.
Unfortunately, only part of the above is correct. Luckily, fellow vt member "ilargitxo" put me on the straight and narrow.
"I want to correct one comment you did about the road billboards in Spain, with a
bull shape. The drink they wanted to advertise was not named "El Toro" was named
"Veterano" and the billboards with the shape of a bull are because the owners of
this drinks company are the "Osborne family" who in the past or maybe still they
are were very rich bull breeders- farmers so the bull was the "mark" of the
family as a way to recognize them and to say that they were or still are bull
Maybe nowadays more recently they have made a new drink called El Toro but this
drink sure it's new since in the past it doesn't exists."
There you have it!
More Reviews (53)
- See All The dominant mountain
- See All Guggenhiem Museum, Bilbao
- See All The Basilica
- See All Basque Country
iandsmith's Related Pages
Spain Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Viva Espana!"
- "The Clock Does Not "Rule" in Spain"
- "More than this..."
- "Bienvenido a Espana - Welcome to Spain."
- "VT meeting in Madrid"
- "A Method to the MAD(ness)......and the players!"
- "CASTLES OF SPAIN"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Spain
- Hotels in Spain
- Transportation in Spain
- Nightlife in Spain
- Restaurants in Spain
- Shopping in Spain
- Warnings and Dangers in Spain
- See All...
Explore the World
- Alta Lake Hotels
- Venice Park Hotels
- Puerto Escondido Hotels
- Jatani Hotels
- Lake Taupo
Badges & Stats in Spain
- 78 Reviews
- 105 Photos
- 14 Forum posts
- 4 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (92)
Have you been to Spain?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Spain
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Australia Intro, 218 reviews, 513 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Tasmania Intro, 128 reviews, 448 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sydney Intro, 138 reviews, 323 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Newcastle Intro, 151 reviews, 296 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Italy Intro, 165 reviews, 253 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Blue Mountains National Park Intro, 87 reviews, 254 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Western Australia Intro, 75 reviews, 230 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brugge Intro, 72 reviews, 209 photos
- New England Range Intro, 97 reviews, 167 photos, 2 travelogues
- London Intro, 94 reviews, 153 photos, 3 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (112)
Travel InterestsSee All Travel Interests (5)
Top Spain hotels
- Barcelona Hotels
- 9441 Reviews - 21467 Photos
- Benidorm Hotels
- 439 Reviews - 762 Photos
- Palma de Mallorca Hotels
- 733 Reviews - 1875 Photos
- Torremolinos Hotels
- 436 Reviews - 1576 Photos
- Salou Hotels
- 165 Reviews - 294 Photos
- Madrid Hotels
- 5306 Reviews - 10727 Photos
- Benalmádena Hotels
- 141 Reviews - 395 Photos
- Playa Blanca Hotels
- 38 Reviews - 119 Photos
- Adeje Hotels
- 36 Reviews - 69 Photos
- Marbella Hotels
- 567 Reviews - 2059 Photos
- Málaga Hotels
- 837 Reviews - 2097 Photos
- Lloret de Mar Hotels
- 142 Reviews - 311 Photos
- Sevilla Hotels
- 2207 Reviews - 5567 Photos
- Alicante Hotels
- 481 Reviews - 1057 Photos
- Alcudia Hotels
- 48 Reviews - 113 Photos