"Delving into Delft" Top 5 Page for this destination Delft by iandsmith
Delft Travel Guide: 501 reviews and 1,356 photos
My first, and unforgettable impression of Delft, after I'd cleared the railway station, was that tower. Every day I thought of it, wrote about it, photographed it, was almost mesmerised by it.
Imagine, you're working on a tower of this magnitude and it starts to lean - noticeably!
What to do? Well, you finish the tower then, so it isn't all totally out of alignment, you put the steeples in a vertical plane. Then it's all askew!
I loved it, Pisa eat your heart out.
Of course, it was almost at exactly the same time that I noticed something else about Delft. Try as I may, I couldn't find it anywhere on the tourist brochures and, when I started taking pictures, the people were clearly upset.
After he'd gone off at me in what I assume was Dutch, I explained I was from Australia and then he kindly explained to me that what he was doing only happened once a year, just before the tourist season.
Actually, it's a problem all round Holland. Testosterone driven young males with little better to do in their lives throwing bikes in the canals. In Amsterdam they have to clean every day, here only once a year, so I was told.
- Pros:Easy to get around, nice atmosphere, nice restaurants
- Cons:Museums and galleries aren't large
- In a nutshell:I loved the place, could happily spend a week there
It was the last shot I took of Delft. Luggage in one hand, camera in the other, I was nearing the station when I... more travel advice
I went beyond the boundaries of the maps that had been provided. I felt that maybe the local tourist authorities might... more travel advice
iandsmith's Related Pages
Delft Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "For your Dutch quaintness fix :-)"
- "Delft from where the "blue" conquered the world."
- "DELFT --A SPECIAL PLACE IN OUR HEARTS"
- "Delving into Delft"
- "Playing tourist on a beautiful sunny but cold day"
- "The Royal Delft"
- "Delving Through Delft"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Delft
- Hotels in Delft
- Transportation in Delft
- Nightlife in Delft
- Restaurants in Delft
- Shopping in Delft
- Warnings and Dangers in Delft
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Delft
- 36 Reviews
- 114 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (92)
Have you been to Delft?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Delft
Photos in DelftSee All Photos (114)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Australia Intro, 220 reviews, 527 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Tasmania Intro, 128 reviews, 448 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sydney Intro, 140 reviews, 333 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Newcastle Intro, 151 reviews, 296 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Italy Intro, 165 reviews, 253 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Blue Mountains National Park Intro, 88 reviews, 259 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Western Australia Intro, 75 reviews, 230 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brugge Intro, 72 reviews, 209 photos
- New England Range Intro, 97 reviews, 167 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Coffs Harbour Intro, 73 reviews, 183 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (118)
Travel InterestsSee All Travel Interests (5)
Latest Delft hotel reviews
- Hotel de Emauspoort
- 250 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 30, 2013
- Hotel Restaurant Johannes Vermeer
- 47 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 5, 2013
- China Hotel Holland
- 12 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jul 5, 2013
- Hotel Leeuwenbrug
- 118 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 9, 2013
- Hotel de Kok
- 2 Reviews & Opinions
- Hotel de Plataan Delft
- 51 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 11, 2013
- Campanile Hotel Delft
- 24 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 6, 2013
- Hotel De Vlaming
- 7 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 12, 2010
- Best Western Museumhotels Delft
- 65 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 14, 2013
- Soul Inn
- 1 Review & Opinion