"Delving into Delft" Top 5 Page for this destination Delft by iandsmith

Delft Travel Guide: 505 reviews and 1,372 photos

Is it real?

My first, and unforgettable impression of Delft, after I'd cleared the railway station, was that tower. Every day I thought of it, wrote about it, photographed it, was almost mesmerised by it.
Imagine, you're working on a tower of this magnitude and it starts to lean - noticeably!
What to do? Well, you finish the tower then, so it isn't all totally out of alignment, you put the steeples in a vertical plane. Then it's all askew!
I loved it, Pisa eat your heart out.

No, it's not happening

Of course, it was almost at exactly the same time that I noticed something else about Delft. Try as I may, I couldn't find it anywhere on the tourist brochures and, when I started taking pictures, the people were clearly upset.
After he'd gone off at me in what I assume was Dutch, I explained I was from Australia and then he kindly explained to me that what he was doing only happened once a year, just before the tourist season.
Actually, it's a problem all round Holland. Testosterone driven young males with little better to do in their lives throwing bikes in the canals. In Amsterdam they have to clean every day, here only once a year, so I was told.

• Pros:Easy to get around, nice atmosphere, nice restaurants
  • Cons:Museums and galleries aren't large
  • In a nutshell:I loved the place, could happily spend a week there
  • Last visit to Delft: Mar 2007
  • Intro Updated May 22, 2007

• icunme's Profile Photo
    Nov 22, 2007 at 1:07 PM

Great photos/detail and, of course, entertaining as well! Ciao, Carol

• TheWanderingCamel's Profile Photo
    Jul 7, 2007 at 2:42 AM

Great take on Delft, a lovely little city. Among my memories are the floating flower market (and buying a whole armful of flowers) and thoughts of Delft artist Carel Fabritius who was killed in the arsenal explosion. leyle

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    May 12, 2007 at 11:29 PM

Ian, your page is amazing indeed, thanx!

• Pawtuxet's Profile Photo
    May 7, 2007 at 6:21 AM

I enjoyed the tour. You got so much more out of Delft than we did. Yet, we loved every step of the way in the Netherlands. Such a beautiful countryside. Can't miss.

• May 5, 2007 at 5:12 PM

I AM "way too early" but I couldn't resist. I have wonderful memories of my oh too brief visit to this beautiful little city. I shall be back when you have finished! (good start with the bikes in/out of the canal pic though!)

iandsmith

“The shortest distance between two people is laughter (note sign in picture)”

Badges & Stats in Delft