"Brugge - The promise of things to come" Top 5 Page for this destination Brugge by iandsmith
Brugge Travel Guide: 2,687 reviews and 7,160 photos
I came to Brugge with much expectation. It's a town favoured by many and reports were all favourable at my end of the spectrum.
Alighting at the train station the first thing I was confronted with was bikes. Certainly more than I am used to.
For some reason I was running a little late and, unsure of my directions, I would have been happy to take a cab but none were available. Thus it was that I missed the first bus I could have caught.
By the time I actually boarded one the evening was nigh.
The trip in was exciting, as it so often is when you arrive at a new destination. I went by what I took to be a church and it was reflected in a canal. My anticipation level rose.
I was dropped off at the fish market and couldn't resist returning one block to get a shot that I had noticed. This was the first photo I took of Brugge. I never realised how much better it would get and how I would go on to take the best night photos I've ever shot.
I've included my Flanders Fields trip in the Brugge pages. It was the most emotional tour I've ever been on for a variety of reasons.
This simple wreath laid by schoolchildren was one of the times I was brought to tears. It's all explained in an email that I sent home that is reproduced verbatim in these pages.
- Pros:Clean, canals, historical, well documented, Flanders Fields
- Cons:Overhyped, lots of tourists
- In a nutshell:Worth including in your itinerary
This, for mine Brugge' finest facade, is the Renaissance styled Chancellery, once home to the record keeper for the city... more travel advice
The municipal theatre was designed by Gustave Saintenay from Brussels and was completed in 1869 more travel advice
iandsmith's Related Pages
Brugge Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Brugge - The promise of things to come"
- "Bruges Beyond Kitsch"
- "Charming just Charming"
- "Brugge, Venice of the North"
- "Brugge die Schone"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Brugge
- Hotels in Brugge
- Transportation in Brugge
- Nightlife in Brugge
- Restaurants in Brugge
- Shopping in Brugge
- Warnings and Dangers in Brugge
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Brugge
- 72 Reviews
- 209 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 32 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (94)
Have you been to Brugge?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Brugge
Photos in BruggeSee All Photos (209)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Australia Intro, 222 reviews, 537 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Tasmania Intro, 128 reviews, 448 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sydney Intro, 149 reviews, 376 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Newcastle Intro, 152 reviews, 301 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Italy Intro, 165 reviews, 253 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Blue Mountains National Park Intro, 88 reviews, 259 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Western Australia Intro, 75 reviews, 230 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brugge Intro, 72 reviews, 209 photos
- New England Range Intro, 97 reviews, 171 photos, 2 travelogues
- France Intro, 47 reviews, 218 photos