"Brugge - The promise of things to come" Top 5 Page for this destination Brugge by iandsmith

Brugge Travel Guide: 2,697 reviews and 7,102 photos

Brugge - on reflection

I came to Brugge with much expectation. It's a town favoured by many and reports were all favourable at my end of the spectrum.
Alighting at the train station the first thing I was confronted with was bikes. Certainly more than I am used to.
For some reason I was running a little late and, unsure of my directions, I would have been happy to take a cab but none were available. Thus it was that I missed the first bus I could have caught.
By the time I actually boarded one the evening was nigh.
The trip in was exciting, as it so often is when you arrive at a new destination. I went by what I took to be a church and it was reflected in a canal. My anticipation level rose.
I was dropped off at the fish market and couldn't resist returning one block to get a shot that I had noticed. This was the first photo I took of Brugge. I never realised how much better it would get and how I would go on to take the best night photos I've ever shot.

On Flanders Fields

I've included my Flanders Fields trip in the Brugge pages. It was the most emotional tour I've ever been on for a variety of reasons.
This simple wreath laid by schoolchildren was one of the times I was brought to tears. It's all explained in an email that I sent home that is reproduced verbatim in these pages.

• Pros:Clean, canals, historical, well documented, Flanders Fields
  • Cons:Overhyped, lots of tourists
  • In a nutshell:Worth including in your itinerary
  • Last visit to Brugge: Mar 2007
  • Intro Updated May 6, 2007

• Ann75's Profile Photo
    Aug 28, 2013 at 9:37 AM

Well Ian, that's an amazing page on Brugge! The photos are amazing and I can't wait to go snap some shots over there myself! Although I am a Belgian, I grew up over there and have visited Brugge several times, I have never seen it in so much depth as you have! Time for a revisit when we travel to see my family next year! Great tips and wonderful shots, Ian...I truly enjoyed this page!

Best Regards,
    Ann

• Pawtuxet's Profile Photo
    Mar 25, 2013 at 7:12 AM

Back for another look at your great photography of Brugge. Makes me want to pack my bags. Thanks again.

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Dec 5, 2012 at 1:19 PM

Again I am totally impressed by your brilliant photos and texts on this page, Ian. I say "again" because I had a look here once before, in 2007, but since then you have just about doubled the number of tips and tripled or quadrupled the number of photos.
    I also rented a bicycle when I was in Bruges last August. I found some pleasant places to ride, but didn’t get as far out into the countryside as you did.

• Beausoleil's Profile Photo
    Apr 6, 2012 at 8:40 PM

Wonderful Pages on Brugge. Your photos are gorgeous, especially the night shots. We're headed to Brugge in September so I saved many of your pages into my VT Trip Planner. Thank you so much.

• wise23girl's Profile Photo
    Aug 23, 2011 at 3:50 AM

Well I am here and looking....My goodness 4835 reviews...no wonder you are up there
    Marg

• Roadquill's Profile Photo
    Aug 3, 2011 at 10:46 AM

Great page Ian...Nice first picture...Karl

• chrisalice48's Profile Photo
    Feb 27, 2011 at 3:08 PM

I am again reassured of Brugge as the right destination for my upcoming trip to Belgium. Your photos are stunning.

• RoscoeGregg's Profile Photo
    Jan 14, 2011 at 7:47 AM

I just love the morning too!! How do people sleep in when in a place like Bruges

• Wikisnoodle's Profile Photo
    Mar 7, 2010 at 2:16 PM

Absolutely great intro for someone, like me, planning a first visit to Brugge. Thank you for sharing both your knowledge and images.

• budapest8's Profile Photo
    Nov 27, 2009 at 11:18 PM

My my....I see I was looking at your tips last year,,so not sure how many I rated as you have enough for a book in your Brugge pages. I am now at tip 25? and will have to come back again, how long were you here for?? Greetings from Budapest..

iandsmith

“The shortest distance between two people is laughter (note sign in picture)”

Badges & Stats in Brugge