"Mushrooms, what mushrooms?" Aberfoyle by iandsmith

Aberfoyle Travel Guide: 10 reviews and 25 photos

Fall-ing for Leny

You know how sometimes in life, you just get the feeling you are in the right place at the right time and this is your day. When I pulled up and parked I was in a different mood. I had just missed the Loch Katrine cruise by less than 10 seconds. The word "unhappy" didn't remotely cover my feelings.
Still, I had missed it due to Rosemarie being slightly unwell from our night at the Mushroom Festival in Aberfoyle the night before. Perhaps I would cool off if I went for a walk and, rather obviously due to flashes of white off to our left, there was a stream down beside us and autumn colours were in attendance.
After I parked in the only spot noticeably available I saw there was a "pathway" sign partially covered with a hessian bag or such. Whatever, I was going for a walk. Initially the dirt path was wet and, it didn't improve the further I ventured down the track. Since it had been raining on and off for a couple of weeks and I was in a country noted for its less-than-dry weather, it was only what I should have expected.
The nearer I got to my destination, the louder the roar of the water. This was the stuff I was after. Then, just as the falls came into view, the track was barred by a fence and, peering over the other side, it was fairly clear why. The concrete pathway, such as it was, was buckled and cracked and in a dangerous state of disrepair. The whole place had an air of "we'll fix it tomorrow", and we all know when that comes. How this sad state had eventuated I later discovered was due to even more rain than I was experiencing that had occurred in August 2004 when roads were cut and the rivers burst their banks.
Anyhow, in order to get that special photo I determined that an iron fence wasn't about to bar me so I clambered over it and cautiously trod further in order to bring you these shots.
The place I was at was actually located on my map but there was certainly no road sign when I was there so you'll have to keep your eyes peeled if you're searching for it.
The Falls of Leny were one of my special moments in Scotland and my whole attitude for the rest of the day started changing.

• Pros:Has all you need in a town, handy to natural attractions
  • Cons:weather
  • In a nutshell:A good base for some of scenic Scotland
  • Last visit to Aberfoyle: Oct 2005
  • Intro Updated Feb 5, 2006

• hevbell's Profile Photo
    Apr 21, 2007 at 1:41 AM

great page! I love this area and just visited again last weekend :) Too bad you missed the loch cruise, I'd like to do that some day also

• nickandchris's Profile Photo
    Feb 3, 2006 at 6:12 AM

A great tale. I shall look at Scottish rain and dripping trees in a different light, now!!! Shame about the lack of mushrooms.

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Dec 1, 2005 at 1:49 PM

This is "classic Ian", and I love it! Your descriptions of events are marvelous.

iandsmith

“The shortest distance between two people is laughter (note sign in picture)”

Badges & Stats in Aberfoyle

Have you been to Aberfoyle?

Latest Activity in Aberfoyle