"A key spot in the Lake District National Park" Top 5 Page for this destination Ambleside by iandsmith
Ambleside Travel Guide: 14 reviews and 38 photos
The Romans once had a fort here called the Galava, close to the River Brathay and the River Rothay, which flows into Lake Windermere.
Ambleside is also known for its associations with a number of famous literary people with William Wordsworth being the most famous. William Wordsworth had his office here when he was the Distributor of Stamps for Westmorland. At St. Mary's Church there is Wordsworth chapel. Close to Ambleside on the road to Grasmere is Rydal Mount, once the home of William and his family.
The little lake at Grasmere, a village to the north of Ambleside, is one of the gems of the Lakeland scenery; indeed,... more travel advice
The forestry skills of the local people, developed over the centuries in the production of charcoal , were exploited to... more travel advice
iandsmith's Related Pages
Ambleside Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A key spot in the Lake District National Park"
- "Ambleside in the Lake District"
- "WELL AND TRULY ON THE BEATEN PATH..."
- "A walker's paradise"
- "Lake District"
- "Spring in the English lakes"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ambleside
- Hotels in Ambleside
- Transportation in Ambleside
- Restaurants in Ambleside
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ambleside
- 5 Reviews
- 6 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (96)
Have you been to Ambleside?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ambleside
Photos in AmblesideSee All Photos (6)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Australia Intro, 225 reviews, 552 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Tasmania Intro, 128 reviews, 448 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sydney Intro, 150 reviews, 380 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Newcastle Intro, 152 reviews, 301 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Italy Intro, 165 reviews, 253 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Blue Mountains National Park Intro, 88 reviews, 259 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Western Australia Intro, 75 reviews, 230 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brugge Intro, 72 reviews, 209 photos
- New England Range Intro, 97 reviews, 172 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Coffs Harbour Intro, 76 reviews, 191 photos