"A base to see things from" Top 5 Page for this destination Aviemore by iandsmith
Aviemore Travel Guide: 46 reviews and 78 photos
Aviemore, (Scottish Gaelic: An Aghaidh Mhòr) is a tourist resort in the Highlands of Scotland though the village itself is not very elevated.
It's in the area known as Badenoch and Strathspey, within the Highland administrative region.
The town is popular for skiing and other winter sports, Rothiemurchus Estate and for hill-walking in the Cairngorm Mountains. Situated within the Cairngorms National Park, Aviemore is one of the largest towns in the park, with a population of 2,397 as of the last census.
It has the honour of having had the first skiing resort to be established in Scotland (complete with the highest railway and the highest restaurant in Great Britain) and is also notable for having a freely grazing reindeer herd, the only one in the United Kingdom.
The village was transformed in the 1960s by large developments for the tourist industry, and pavements which were designed by John Poulson, later to be the centre of a bribery scandal.
Aviemore lies on the A9 road from Inverness to Perth. It has a railway station on the Highland Main Line and is also the southern terminus of the Strathspey Railway, a heritage railway.
The town is an ideal base for a large variety of outdoor sports including skiing, both cross-country and downhill, husky racing, golf, horse riding, climbing and walking, bird watching, fishing and water sports.
- Pros:Winter sports, great walking, Rothiemurcus, good restaurants
- Cons:Exposed hills get very windy, the weather generally
- In a nutshell:More to keep you occupied than you would think
This is the bridge, one of the most photographed in Scotland. The lively village surrounding it boasts that it was the... more travel advice
I must admit I cracked up when I saw this. Couldn't stop smiling for five minutes. You see, in Australia we have... more travel advice
iandsmith's Related Pages
Aviemore Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Cairngorms National Park - Outdoor Sports"
- "A base to see things from"
- "Something new, different"
- "Wee Aviemore"
- "Popular with skiers and climbers"
- "Aviemore in January."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Aviemore
- Hotels in Aviemore
- Transportation in Aviemore
- Restaurants in Aviemore
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Aviemore
- 7 Reviews
- 16 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (268)
Have you been to Aviemore?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Aviemore
Photos in AviemoreSee All Photos (16)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Australia Intro, 225 reviews, 552 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Tasmania Intro, 136 reviews, 485 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sydney Intro, 150 reviews, 380 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Newcastle Intro, 152 reviews, 301 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Italy Intro, 165 reviews, 253 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Blue Mountains National Park Intro, 88 reviews, 259 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Western Australia Intro, 75 reviews, 230 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brugge Intro, 72 reviews, 209 photos
- New England Range Intro, 97 reviews, 172 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Coffs Harbour Intro, 76 reviews, 191 photos