"Classic Cotswolds" Top 5 Page for this destination Bourton on the Water by iandsmith
Bourton on the Water Travel Guide: 64 reviews and 195 photos
Actually, it's not, it's just that the most popular one has a connection with some bard or playwright or something.
Having said that, Bourton would be the most popular if you're just counting those who come to see the villages of the Cotswolds. I'm eternally grateful to the guidebook that advises you to stay overnight here. We took the advice and spent a Sunday night there, having arrived just as the crowds were dispersing mid-afternoon and then having the next day in virtually uncrowded circumstances.
It's a place that's hard not to like. From the little stream (optimistically called the River Windrush) crossed by six bridges to the miniature town, to the motor museum, to the perfume shop, to the hordes of other touristy shops, this village has it all; though whoever called it the "Venice of the Cotswolds" obviously had a vivid imagination or had never been to Venice. Yes, there's water (barely enough to float a paper boat , let alone a gondola), and bridges (basic stone compared to eyecatching historical) and nice buildings (how they can see anything like St. Marks Square here is beyond me) and that's about where any resemblance may end. What it is is a classic oolite Cotswold village, forget the comparisons.
There's one little thing you should know. The perfume shop is open seven days a week. It may look like it's closed but just try the door, chances are it will swing open. Poor Morgan, MOB1US's partner, got caught and missed the inside of a woman's shop-to-die-for.
- Pros:Very pretty, lots of shops, attractions for the children
- Cons:I'll let you know when I think of one
- In a nutshell:If you only have a day in the Cotswolds, put this on your itinerary
There are other ways to travel than via public transport or private car. One of those is motorhome, a style very popular... more travel advice
Getting a room in the most popular town in the Cotswolds (for those who come to see the Cotswolds) was a huge bonus. It... more travel advice
iandsmith's Related Pages
Bourton on the Water Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Classic Cotswolds"
- "Beautiful Bourton"
- "Bourton...four villages in one."
- "A very pretty place......."
- "Bourton on the Water"
- "Bourton-on-the-Water and attractions."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bourton on the Water
- Hotels in Bourton on the Water
- Transportation in Bourton on the Water
- Restaurants in Bourton on the Water
- Shopping in Bourton on the Water
- Warnings and Dangers in Bourton on the Water
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Bourton on the Water
- 12 Reviews
- 27 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 11 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (94)
Have you been to Bourton on the Water?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bourton on the Water
- Posted in Travel Sydney Forum "Re: Planning a trip with Kids in..."
- Commented on one of grets's Bourton on the Water travel pages
- updated a Bourton on the Water Travel Page "Classic Cotswolds"
- Wrote a Review Spreading your wings in Bourton on the Water Favorites
- Uploaded a Photo to "Spreading your wings"
Photos in Bourton on the WaterSee All Photos (27)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Australia Intro, 222 reviews, 537 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Tasmania Intro, 128 reviews, 448 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sydney Intro, 149 reviews, 376 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Newcastle Intro, 152 reviews, 301 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Italy Intro, 165 reviews, 253 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Blue Mountains National Park Intro, 88 reviews, 259 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Western Australia Intro, 75 reviews, 230 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brugge Intro, 72 reviews, 209 photos
- New England Range Intro, 97 reviews, 171 photos, 2 travelogues
- France Intro, 47 reviews, 218 photos